PDA

View Full Version : Summer heat in the "valley" gets bad.......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-07-2012, 11:31 AM
......in mid-summer.

Traditionally those of us who live in the hot dry valley here in California take our vacations in August.

From Sacarmento we can drive a few hours to the east or west and get out of here.

If you get over 5,000 feet it will be cooler with better air quality too.

If you get over to the coast it will be cool with better air quality too.

Try to get out of the valley in August if you can......

__________________________________________________ _________________

When I was very young my family vacation was always to Santa Cruz where we had family.

We stayed at Sycamore Grove Camp Ground up on the San Lorenso River.

I loved fishing off the piers in the area, first with a hand line you could buy for around a dollar.

Many other families went to the Sierras to camp. Lots went to Lake Tahoe......

__________________________________________________ __________________

Where are you going this summer?

BillB
07-07-2012, 07:20 PM
My place in Morro Bay! Sure, there are no fish in the surf (according to my recent experience!), but it makes decent exercise for me, wadering up, walking the sand. Much cooler than the south valley. Maybe I can explore Whale Rock reservoir.

Troutstalker55B
07-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Bill,

My Dad always told me we that when he left this earth there would be always be an old school fly angler I could get good info from in the fly fishing world. He said we are like family when it comes to the rod, reel, and fly. Thanks for all that you provide Bill. I know my destiny is what Battling Bob would want - I will provide the fly fishing public the tools it takes to fish for and admire the species we seek for. Tight lines...

Jon.

El Rey
07-07-2012, 07:57 PM
The Coast. Yes, anywhere on the Coast.

Dabalone
07-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Even if its 100 plus every Friday afternoon East bound 80 gets plugged up with people from the bay area. All that cool weather over there gets to you after awhile I guess.

Mike O
07-07-2012, 10:24 PM
My place in Morro Bay! Sure, there are no fish in the surf (according to my recent experience!), but it makes decent exercise for me, wadering up, walking the sand. Much cooler than the south valley. Maybe I can explore Whale Rock reservoir.

Am currently in Morro Bay, and while I am not fishing this trip, I can tell you that there are plenty of perch in the surf at the right times. I grew up catching barred surfperch here. The tidepools around the area fish well, too.

Good luck at Whale Rock. Those fish are few and far between, access sucks, no watercraft of any kind. Check DFG regs first as well, as they change periodically.

I would rather go fish Nacimiento Lake or Santa Margarita Lake, but heat can be an issue there too. Lopez Lake has a lot of fish as well.

Have caught a ton of fish in Morro Bay itself, from sand bass to jacksmelt. Saw a guy last year using those little shrimp fly jigs (can't remember the name...something Japanese) to catch Sardines off the docks, and they are trout fly sized shrimp lures. There are fish off the Cayucos Pier, but FFing the pier is not possible.

Mike O
07-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Even if its 100 plus every Friday afternoon East bound 80 gets plugged up with people from the bay area. All that cool weather over there gets to you after awhile I guess.

Most of those people are not heading to the heat...they are heading to the warmer Sierras

Sammy
07-08-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm down in morro as well. (cayucos actually) I've talked to several long time locals that have had some amamzing fishing at whale rock.

Nice waves today. Probably pull out the long board for some surfing. Sun is peaking through the fog now. Gonna be a good day

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-08-2012, 05:07 PM
We are at my cousin's place in Vista, CA, not far from the ocean (below LA).

Fantastic cool sea breeze all day long.

Fog in the PM and AM...........

People were catching fish off the Ocean Pier today. Mostly mackerel with a few perch and smelt.

Frank Alessio
07-08-2012, 08:19 PM
What a Great Board full of really nice People....

Ed Wahl
07-08-2012, 08:54 PM
As most locals know you can also just 'live with it'. I spent today fishing a creek smack dab in the middle of the oven. Smallmouth, Squaws, and Carp. The best was the Carp, he followed a 'bugger and unlike all his predessors he actually sucked it in. I set like a tarpon had grabbed. Then it was off to the races. He made a long run under an Algae patch which allowed him to break off, but what a rush. The same fish kept coming back and looking at me. He wouldn't bite again just kept coming back and looking. The Smallies in the valley really turn on in the heat, except of course where I was fishing. Squawfish were on the prowl though and that kept things moving.

If you haven't fished in 100 degree heat here your just not getting into the spirit of things.

Tight lines all.

Ed

Dabalone
07-08-2012, 09:31 PM
As most locals know you can also just 'live with it'. I spent today fishing a creek smack dab in the middle of the oven. Smallmouth, Squaws, and Carp. The best was the Carp, he followed a 'bugger and unlike all his predessors he actually sucked it in. I set like a tarpon had grabbed. Then it was off to the races. He made a long run under an Algae patch which allowed him to break off, but what a rush. The same fish kept coming back and looking at me. He wouldn't bite again just kept coming back and looking. The Smallies in the valley really turn on in the heat, except of course where I was fishing. Squawfish were on the prowl though and that kept things moving.

If you haven't fished in 100 degree heat here your just not getting into the spirit of things.

Tight lines all.

Ed

You are a true fishing warrior!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-09-2012, 07:32 AM
The Smallies in the valley really turn on in the heat, except of course where I was fishing.
Ed

I believe that mid-summer is the time for SMB in moving water too.

Andy and I will be getting up to the Lower Feather River soon.....

BillB
07-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Well another nice cool stroll on the beach this morning. Exercised legs in the surf and sand, shoulders and arms with the Xi2 7 all in nice cool weather! If there were fish it would really be killer!