PDA

View Full Version : 90/95

jbird
07-06-2012, 01:27 PM
90 degree water, 95 degree air. Ugh! Brutal!

Its amazing how harsh and miserable the winters are in Wisconsin, especially considering the summers feel like a Georgia swamp.

This week I forced myself to get out fishing cause I just dont do it enough anymore. Tuesday I fished a small, clear lake by the name of Lime lake about an hour from me. It is managed for Bass, Pike and Panfish. I got to the lake at 5:30 am and was greeted by a wicked, midwest thundestorm. I snoozed in my truck for an hour while it passed. I got on the water under black skies and dead calm conditions. PERFECT!

I got so caught up with crappie, I hardly persued anything else. They were big and dumb and were just pounding my damsel nymph stripped on a floating line. I musta caught 100 crappie in the 9-12" range.
The fish moved a little deeper and I was fishing them with a weighted bugger. Doing so I hooked something big. It splashed and rolled on the surface but I couldnt ID it. It was not a pike, of that I'm sure. I was no match with my 3wt as it ripped line from my hand and into a dock where it broke off.

Today, i fished a similar lake called Tree Lake. A little bigger and more traffic. Crystal clear water and just disgustingly warm. I was seeing some nice bass cruising the grass flats and some big boils deep in the lilly's so I spent the day chasing topwater bass. My floating dragon was the fly of the day. I caught 9 bass including this beaut! She dragged me around in my kayak more than I would like. You can see the pontoon swimming dock in the back ground. She took me right into that thing and wrapped my fly line around its anchor chain. I somehow got her free. Trying to control a big fish from a kayak really sucks! It wouldnt be a problem in open water, but when theres structure all around theres not a lot you can do. At one point, I held the rod in my teeth while paddling away from trouble.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC01840.jpg

The floating dragon took this big bass in clear, calm conditions over a 2' deep grass flat. The explosion was excellent!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC01838.jpg

See my Kayak review in the general forum.

Blueracer
07-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Way to go Jay! I wish I could show people in the West the immense fishing locations in the MidWest. People don't think about how things are different on the other side of the river when they've never seen it.