PDA

View Full Version : Wet wading protection

EricO
07-06-2012, 11:28 AM
No this thread isn't about safe sex. ;)

I need some ideas for knee to shin leg protection when wet wading. Fished all day yesterday and between the berry bushes, boulders & sticks my legs look like they've gone thru a meat grinder.

I use baseball sliding pads to cover my knees. But my shins are toast. I have tried mountain bike type shin guards, but they rub my legs raw after a full day. I have also tried pulling up
my wading neo socks, but they eventually slip down.

Anybody got any good product/idea to share that works? Gracias in advance.

Shredded,
Eric

Ted S
07-06-2012, 11:49 AM
If I am wet wading an area where I need a little more protection, I will use lightweight nylon pants. They are almost as cool as shorts when wet wading and protect me from scratches and scrapes. I have some from Patagonia that are super light.

Ted

Fly Guy Dave
07-06-2012, 12:04 PM
I can't say that I've personally used these, but I know a guy that uses rattlesnake chaps to protect his shins from plants, rocks and of course...snakes! Perhaps they chafe, I have no idea, but he seems very happy with 'em.

Troutstalker55B
07-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Ditto what Ted said, I never wear shorts anymore. Love the quick dry pant convertibles. Soccer shin guards are your answer for shin bashing. There are two kinds, soft foam, and foam with an outer shell of hard plastic.

Jon.

Dan LeCount
07-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Lots of the guys competing in fly fishing events use tactical leg guards over their waders for lower leg protection during aggressive wading.

Not this exact model but similar.

http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/riot-shinneoprene.htm

Might work well for what you're thinking about.

EricO
07-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Right on. Thanks a ton guys.....what about fly fishing helmets? ....lol.

Appreciate it...I get something like this and my lower section is almost bulletproof.

Eric

mark
07-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Right on. Thanks a ton guys.....what about fly fishing helmets? ....lol.

Appreciate it...I get something like this and my lower section is almost bulletproof.

Eric

dont laugh, I have seen a time when a fishing helmet would have saved a buddy a couple stitches on pit #3. Rough spot for sure.

I like the lightweight pants also, they tend to keep the berries from scratching up the legs and or letting the poison oak get into the open cuts/scrapes.

Ed Wahl
07-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Eric, I've been using the soccer shin guards under nylon pants for years now. I have only scar tissue on my shins from years of wet wading in tennis shoes and shorts. The hard plastic ones pretty much give you 'Iron Man' shins.

Ed

EricO
07-07-2012, 07:32 AM
Thanks Ed....I know you're a motivated wet wader/hiker/trail blazer...appreciate the recommendations. Soccer shin guards it is!!!

Bulletproof Eric :)

pgw
07-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Another vote for soccer shin pads

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showpost.php?p=119088&postcount=20

EricO
07-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Super...thanks Paul! Don't know why I haven't bought any to this day.

Picking some up this week.

Eric

T&K
07-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Wet wading in Shorts during a warm summer day fishing in the Sierras sounds like a great way to go until your bare legs are attacked by chiggers. Believe me it is not fun. Every time you hike in your shorts through the stream side grass, chances are you will find out for yourself. Ever since my misfortune I wet wade in jeans.

KD
07-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Chota makes (or used to) a knee high wading sock. I have used these for years and they provide protection over the calf almost to the knee. They can be rolled down to ankle height if you want. They serve as wading sock and lower leg protection. made of lined neoprene with top cinch strap(at top of calf).

JohnD
07-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Will be wearing at least hiking pants from now on. Ran into to stinging nettles this weekend. Stuff is not fun.

EricO
07-10-2012, 09:58 AM
No joke John. I fell into those on Hat creek once. Worst thing is you can't see 'em to yank 'em out!

Hate nettles...hate poison oak more.

EO