PDA

View Full Version : State Parks Pass fee increased 5 / 1 / 2012

Dave E.
07-05-2012, 01:09 PM
We all know our State Parks are hurting for dough.

“State Parks is not sure how much revenue the increased fees will generate in the short term, but estimates that over the long term the fees will raise between $1 million and $1.5 million a year, according to a press release. This fee increase is not enough to prevent the park closures caused by the $22 million reduction to the State Parks' budget, but will help prevent cuts in services at the parks staying open.”

Vehicle Day Use Annual Pass, have gone from $125 to $195.

Golden Poppy Vehicle Day Use Pass, have gone from $90 to $125.

Boat Use Pass (Sticker), have gone from $75 to $100.

Limited Use Golden Bear Pass, have gone from $10 to $20.

Kind of makes me wonder what’s in store for fishing licenses and tags in the new year.
No matter, no choice, we play so we pay.

Still, for a guy pulling and launching a boat, the cost just went from $200 to $295 in the blink of an eye.

Dave

Scott V
07-05-2012, 01:52 PM
How long has it been since the fee's were increased last time?

Jay Murakoshi
07-05-2012, 02:10 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the golden poppy pass was $125.00 last year. I've been buying annual passes for the past 8 years and have seen the price increases. I use to buy the boat sticker but it's cheaper for me to pay the day I take the pram
Prices go up, the less service you get.
I use my pass almost every day. The draw back is I can't use the Poppy pass at a lot of southern cal beaches

Can't win

Jay

Larry S
07-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Less than 10 years ago, the daily parking pass was around $30. I bought one yearly.
Then, in its infinite wisdom, the state raised the price to nearly $100 with a yearly bump.
I'm no financial wizard; it seems to me that they would sell many more passes at, say,
$50 than at $200. Something like the law of diminishing returns. I wonder how they
arrive at these prices?
Best to all,
Larry S

Dave E.
07-05-2012, 04:52 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the golden poppy pass was $125.00 last year. I've been buying annual passes for the past 8 years and have seen the price increases. I use to buy the boat sticker but it's cheaper for me to pay the day I take the pram
Prices go up, the less service you get.
I use my pass almost every day. The draw back is I can't use the Poppy pass at a lot of southern cal beaches

Can't win

Jay

It was $90.00 last year. Although they might have seen you comin', being a high roller and all, you've got to expect that kind of thing. http://www.kiene.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Darian
07-05-2012, 05:55 PM
So, let me see if I understand this correctly.... The State is increasing user fees by a large percentage supposedly in order to offset increased costs. :neutral:

State Parks are funded by a mix of public and private moneys. Part comes from general fund, part comes from user fees and some from donations to the State Parks Foundation (also, a user fee). The balance comes from management contracts with private vendors. The tax portion apparently comes from the general fund. I don't know what the precise amount each of these sources contributes. :neutral:

I know that I and many others pay their Personal Income Taxes on time and don't cheat, contribute to the State Parks Foundation and pay user fees when at a park. Seems to me that these sources should be enough at current levels to keep all the State Parks open with the exception of those least used. Why not defund those parks that fail to attract enough visitors to make them viable :question: At this point, any fee increase may have the opposite affect than that desired as LarryS points out. :neutral:

So, as the state attempts to eliminate/reduce the burden of funding operations of state parks on the General Fund, it increases user fees on all locations.... Not sure how the state can justify raising user fees without some real, documented justification (e.g. at least an annual count of users at each park).

I'm not an overly conservative type but this seems to me to be a de facto tax increase. you know, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.... ;)

BillB
07-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Hey Larry, isn't that the Laffer curve (principle)? Not sure why not much attention is paid to that. Maybe our "leaders" haven't heard of it or don't believe in the idea. Just say'in.

Larry S
07-06-2012, 04:26 AM
BillB,
You're probably right about the name. Maybe the state ought to sell "naming" rights to
the parks the way cities sell the names of stadiums(sic) and arenas. Just kidding, folks.
Imagine "Rubios' Fish Tacos Torrey Pines State Beach!"
Best to all,
Larry S