PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle on the Klamath

Siskiyoublues
07-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Anybody been floating the Klamath lately?
I've been trying to plan a trip and was looking for advice on the river.
Been daydreaming a lot but to be honest have just been mostly intimidated about doing it for the first time.
I've only floated the lower sac a couple times since getting my drift boat.
Also trying to find some more information on shuttles, whether it be meeting up with forum members or local service.
I guess I am just mostly looking for any other Klamath fishing steelhead junkies.
Looking forward to feedback! thanks guys,
Carl

Siskiyoublues
07-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Any help?

I read someone saying something about how you shouldn't fish the river during these months because of an algae issue caused by the dams? I had trouble finding more information on this.

Maybe I'll just row it a couple times with no fishing gear to get a feel of it before autumn comes. Are there any stretches to be cautious and aware about in the upper part of the river?

Siskiyoublues
07-20-2012, 08:09 AM
235 views and nada, is this a futile effort?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-20-2012, 09:50 AM
I can understand why......it is very remote and very seasonal but some locals up there have to be doing some shuttling.

Call Marble Mountain Lodge.......they guide with drift boats upriver.

You could check with the Ted Fay Fly Shop- Dunsmuir, The Fly Shop-Redding, the Eureka Fly Shop and the Trinity Fly Shop.

I would call or email some of the places to stay up on the Klamath River.

Most of the drift boat water is roughly from Happy Camp down to the mouth of the Trinity River.

The jet boat water is from Johnson Bar down stream to the mouth at the ocean.

I would get a StreamTime map if you don't have one yet.

Look at the lodging we recommend on our web site under REPORTS under the KLAMATH RIVER and contact them.

http://www.kiene.com/reports/rivers/klamath.shtm

We use to camp, drive, hike and wade that middle area. October is my favorite time.

Siskiyoublues
07-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks Bill! I really appreciate it. I'll make some calls. Been wondering what to expect at what flows and what areas to stay away from.
I am hoping to row it a couple times before the fishing gets hot so I don't have to stress about learning when there are a lot of boats competing for water.
thanks again

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-20-2012, 11:16 PM
I don't think they get that many drift boats way up there on the middle Klamath, even though it is wonderful.

About 25 years ago I hired top Nor Cal SH guide Bruce Slightem to drift me from McManus Riffle down to the Green Riffle. We had a great day...

Many years ago we always use to drive, walk and wade that part of the river but drifting is way more efective. You can drift down and get out and fish one riffle after another.

Chris Gearhart
07-21-2012, 05:26 AM
If you are wanting to float the upper part of the river I can help a little. I have floated from Iron Gate down to the Copco bridge a couple of times. Depending on flows there are a few spots that could cause a problem. I floated it first with Craig Nielson. He is a really great guide that knows that river. He is very open to giving info to people you could call or email him at Shasta Trout. As for shuttles the one I use is Sherry's Shuttles 530 475-0931.

I will begin fishing it again in Nov. maybe I wil see you up there. Have fun and be safe.

Chris

Siskiyoublues
07-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks Chris! that really helps a lot. I'll give Sherry a call and try to find some details and email Craig. I'll shoot you a PM with my email and phone # and maybe we can meet up.