PDA

View Full Version : Be careful - Puma attack

Dagee
07-03-2012, 01:52 PM
A man was attacked by a mountain lion while camping near the NF of Yuba. The attack occurred while he was sleeping. Scary!!

http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2012/07/02/cougar-pounces-on-sleeping-man/

Ralph
07-03-2012, 03:08 PM
This happened on the MAIN Yuba near Nevada City.

From a person at Sierra Nevada Hospital who was there when the victim came in: The guy was apparently awakened by the lion tapping his head with a paw with claws retracted. The camper became fully alert when the cat put its nose in his ear and gave a sniff. The guy freaked out, started thrashing and the cat bit him and swiped him with both paws (this time with the claws out). When he stopped moving the lion jumped back a safe distance and watched him. The guy started to get up and the lion bolted.

Gotta wonder who was more frightened? I know I would have ruined the sleeping bag.

I remember some movie where a mountain lion was trying to figure out what a box turtle was by nudging it and tapping it with his paws. Probably the same scene. Hardly an attack. But in this case curiosity will probably kill the cat.

aaron
07-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Sounds like a curious youngster that scarred the piss out of both of them. Glad the guy is going to live, what a random experience.

Dave Neal
07-03-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm laughing right now because (according to my wife) I snore awfully bad. She tells me I scare away bears.

I wonder if this guy was snoring and the cat came to investigate!

... and yeah, I would have ruined the sleeping bag, also, if that happened to me! Ha.

Frank Alessio
07-03-2012, 05:57 PM
This is what happens when you manage Fish and Game at the Ballot Box....Nice Kitty

Larry S
07-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Finally Frank and I agree on a topic. Hunt 'em!
Best to you Frank and others,
Larry S

Frank Alessio
07-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Thank You and My best to you also...

Mark Kranhold
07-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Big kitty tastes good.

Rossflyguy
07-03-2012, 09:37 PM
HAHAHAHA! That's what happens when you don't sleep in a tent. Dude probably pissed himself. I wouldn't call it an attack, more like the result for scaring the crap out of a mountain lion.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-03-2012, 10:16 PM
There are only 20 documented fatal cougar attackes in North America sense 1890:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America

Ralph
07-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Spent the evening trying to trap a couple of orphaned bear cubs with Mark Kenyon, director of the state's lion, bear and pig division. He's been plastered all over the news the past few days. Cool guy. Cubs ate all the watermelon chum then climbed a tree. Mark ended up climbing the tree while Lisa and I held a net underneath to catch raining cubs. Cubs got far out on some really skinny branches and went to sleep. Pretty funny but must admit, Mark went way out on a limb. Tomorrow, plan B.

The lion hunt is way more technical. They analyzed the DNA in the saliva surrounding the bite mark in the guy's cap and can ID the cat. Apparently it is a young female. Young female lions typically make a three day circuit through their territory. They are waiting for its next lap.

Dan LeCount
07-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Lions like me and like to follow me.

they're always after me Lucky Charms. :-k

but seriously, Ive been followed 3 times now (that I know of, probably 20 times more that I don't know of) Once near the confluence of Prosser Creek and the Truckee River, once on the Little Truckee and once on Lee Vining Creek. Being followed is a far cry from an attack. Only way I could see someone getting attacked for real is maybe a female taking her cubs out of the den in their early stages, or maybe a small kid running down a trail in the dark by themselves in the woods. I'm more scared of pot farmers, hornet nests in the ground and aquatic beetle larva and beavers when I'm wet wading. Ive been in high population cat areas my whole life. They're in the back of your mind as a presence, but they're not really a serious danger if you use your frontal lobe.

OceanSunfish
07-04-2012, 12:11 AM
Spent the evening trying to trap a couple of orphaned bear cubs with Mark Kenyon, director of the state's lion, bear and pig division. He's been plastered all over the news the past few days. Cool guy. Cubs ate all the watermelon chum then climbed a tree. Mark ended up climbing the tree while Lisa and I held a net underneath to catch raining cubs. Cubs got far out on some really skinny branches and went to sleep. Pretty funny but must admit, Mark went way out on a limb. Tomorrow, plan B.

The lion hunt is way more technical. They analyzed the DNA in the saliva surrounding the bite mark in the guy's cap and can ID the cat. Apparently it is a young female. Young female lions typically make a three day circuit through their territory. They are waiting for its next lap.

I surmise the cat is a doomed..... My house cat pats without claws all the time...... Like you said, the cat was probably more scared.....

Well, thanks to the Humane Society, we have a lot of 'cats' around.......

Dabalone
07-04-2012, 08:45 AM
The trip in your vehicle getting to your favorite stream or creek is far more dangerous than your walk after you get there. Perspective

Darian
07-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Or the drunk dumbass from down the block that wandered around the neighborhood last night at 1:30 AM firing nearly 40 rounds into the air (hopefully....). :mad: Two cop cars at his home this AM. I sure hope they hauled his useless butt off to the can. :D

Scott V
07-05-2012, 07:23 AM
I wonder what is going to happen when something bigger than humans comes around and decided we are a nuisance and starts killing us off.

OceanSunfish
07-05-2012, 08:42 AM
I wonder what is going to happen when something bigger than humans comes around and decided we are a nuisance and starts killing us off.

I hope 'it' starts with the guy shooting off 40 rounds near Darian's house..... ;)

Rich Morrison
07-05-2012, 09:08 AM

Are we talking Big Foot or aliens here? Or maybe something that has yet to evolve?
Rich

Darian
07-05-2012, 09:26 AM
This could get interesting. How about devolution?? Back to the Dinosaurs.... :unibrow:

aaron
07-05-2012, 11:42 AM
You guys took Prometheus wayyyyy to seriously!