PDA

View Full Version : Sabalo for Bobalo

bonneville54
07-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Before the sun rose above the mangroves, Bob had already made his first cast of the day.

"I'm very much like a rookie pitcher, but instead of counting pitches, I count casts", he said.

Bob's 88 year old shoulder can only take so many casts per session - about two dozen, I'd guessed.

"Two more and you're up, John"

Bob's casts aren't as long as they used to be and tend to hook to the left nowadays. The guide would subtly position the boat to help counter these inclinations, but Bob knew what he was doing and I think it may have gently bruised his ego. But, in the end, he understood.

"Strip, Bob, strip!" Juan cried. "He's coming, set the hook!"

He had a decent size tarpon on. With his shorter cast, Bob may not hook as many as us young pups...however, his land ratio, actual Tarpon in the boat percentage was always higher than the rest of us. I think it's because it takes more than technique to land these baby fighters, it takes wisdom and intuition. We can't compete in that regard...

http://bonneville.smugmug.com/Sports/Campeche-2010/i-rcN7pdC/0/M/P1010647-M.jpg

http://bonneville.smugmug.com/Sports/Campeche-2010/i-xShpSBR/0/M/P1010628-M.jpg

This was my best trip to the Yucatan, particularly in terms of sheer numbers. Forty or so to the boat and another 20 jumped. Hot and humid, a short and intense downpour in the middle of a fight and on the last day something happened that surprised us all.

We were motoring slowly over the shallow grass reefs toward some schooling Sabalo. They were, as they had been every morning, feeding aggressively on "sardina". This is a magical time, the anticipation growing as we all looked toward the porpoising fish - it usually meant great hook-ups, surrounded by rises, every cast having potential.

But....as we cruised slowly into the rising sun, we heard a loud clunk and to our complete astonishment, a 5/6 pound tarpon landed in the boat. It had jumped high enough to brush the cheek of my brother-in-law, ("Kissed me", he said later) and landed, flopping wildly on the deck. Getting over the shock and awe, we grabbed the silver beauty and released him, not until then looking at each other and breaking into raucous laughter.

A trip to be remembered.

Ted S
07-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Great story! Thanks for posting it.
Ted

Scott V
07-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Great to see Bob is getting them. Bob's the man!

Tony Buzolich
07-03-2012, 02:19 PM
I've got a dear friend down there right now doing exactly the same as your "Bob". Ours is Don Voigt and he could be Bob's twin brother. He's at Tarpon Caye Lodge and I hope he's getting a few of the same memeories checked off his list while he's still here. He's in his mid 80's as well and still has the desire to go for the adventure.

Congratulations Bob on a fine tarpon, and good luck on yours Don,
Tony

Hatch
07-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Very cool post. The only thing that gets me weepy eyed is old fishermen and old Labradors. Great story. I will be heading down there in 381 days but who's counting.
HATCH