PDA

View Full Version : Fish cat vs Creek Company ODC 420

kokaneejr
07-02-2012, 09:16 AM
I am 6"4 240 and I am upgrading my Trout unlimited Kennibec float tube. I know my buddy Scott would recommend the Fish cat but the weight limit is 250 and if I don't stay in shape I would be over that in a heartbeat. I saw that Creek Company is blowing out the older model for $169 and found the new lightweight model for $179 at Cabelas. Both have weight limits of #300. Wondering if anybody has experience with these or the company. I know Fish Cat has an awesome customer service. But Cabelas also has a pretty good policy about returns as well.
Thanks again. Craig

SHigSpeed
07-02-2012, 09:42 AM
I am 6"4 240 and I am upgrading my Trout unlimited Kennibec float tube. I know my buddy Scott would recommend the Fish cat but the weight limit is 250 and if I don't stay in shape I would be over that in a heartbeat. I saw that Creek Company is blowing out the older model for $169 and found the new lightweight model for $179 at Cabelas. Both have weight limits of #300. Wondering if anybody has experience with these or the company. I know Fish Cat has an awesome customer service. But Cabelas also has a pretty good policy about returns as well.
Thanks again. Craig

The ODCs are really nice. The materials aren't QUITE as nice as the Outcast boats, but they're close. The standard ODC seems pretty bulletproof, but the UL is really light - and if you get the inflatable seats it's almost packable. ;) If you never plan on packing with it, I'd say get the standard as it has a coated bottom that won't fray and wear on rocks and such. The UL has a standard fabric bottom.

The ODC pockets are HUGE as well compared to the Fish Cats. Probably bigger even than the Fat Cats.

Also, I've heard good things about Creek Co's warranty service as well so you should be covered there.

_SHig

SHigSpeed
07-03-2012, 02:43 PM
I have had both and would go with the fishcat. the fishcat have a better exterior finish (pvc) coating and move thru the h2o much better. the odc have a heavy nylon material that absorbs water. i wouldn't worry to much about the weight limits unless you are planning on somewhat heavy river excursions. the one thing nice about the odc is that it packs up nice in it's back pack for 1 to 3 mile hikes up to secluded places and is considerably lighter.... but when the day is done, and you break down the odc, it is much heavier after water use.the odc is a simple design, and easy to assemble, and no tools required. the fishcat is kind of a low rider compared to the odc, and i believe you need tools to assemble. i believe the fishcat is standard at 80 something lbs. and the odc is around 45 lbs. i don't think the fishcat has the backpack option. it's best in the drive up and lauch role. both are good boats, but when it gets windy on the lakes or rivers, i like a faster and more responsive watercraft. edge fishcat

Chainsaw,

I think you're comparing the PONTOON boats. The OP was asking about float tubes.

_SHig

DFrink
07-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Can't speak for the Creek Company tube, but I upgraded from a CA Kennebec to a Fish Cat last year and was amazed at how much more comfortable the Fish Kitty is. Plus you are high and dry, takes a lot longer to get cold in winter and I even use it without waders a lot in the summer. Hope this helps.

Dan

JAWallace
07-03-2012, 10:13 PM
I have a Super Fat Cat which is about 15 years old and looks showroom. It's a very good packable tube with excellent design and construction. Still, given that the SFC is now north of $400 and the Fish Cat is less than half, I'm wondering if there is $200+ value difference other than the urethane bladders which do have some safety and longevity advantages, and two pounds less weight. I know the OP isn't considering the SFC but what am I missing in the price point differential?

trouterfan1
07-03-2012, 10:51 PM
I would go with the outcast super fatcat. Being a big guy 6'4'' 256lbs I had the ODC 420 and it was not very stable floating me! While floating it looked and felt like I was going to tip over backwards. Needless to say I sold it to a much smaller guy and upgraded to the super fatcat and couldn't be happier. If you float tube often it is money well spent in the long run. Everything about the super fatcat is better...from the materials they are constructed with to the inflatable seat and backrest. You can deflate it completely and transport it in a backpack or inflate it and use backpack straps that you can purchase seperately to pack it in to remote locations. Outcast makes a superior tube compared to other companies.

kokaneejr
07-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Thanks all,

I weighed your opinions, and my potential weight as I get older, and came to the conclusion to buy the ODC...It is rated for more weight(mine) than the Fiscat 4 and its cost is way below the Fat Cat. I believe the Fishcat and Fatcat boats are better quality but for now I have read enough reports to think it will be OK, Thanks SHig.

I bought it through Amazon(via) Creek Company and so if I am not happy I will be able to return it easier.

Trouterfan your post scares me a bit and I will be testing it out as soon as I get it to see if I get the same feeling. If so it goes back and I start saving for the Fat cat.

Thanks again I knew I could count on you guys...Craig.

Blueracer
07-05-2012, 07:36 PM
You'll love it and be very satisfied with your decision.

kabah088
07-12-2012, 09:55 PM
I ahve some experience with Creek Company.

I purchased the Uboat 2000 off steep and cheap . com for 80$

Cannot be happier. Seams have held up. The bladder has held up. Not much to say other than that.

Peace

itsbenlong
07-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Hi Craig,

I was just reading you post. I am not sure if you received your tube yet and tried it out. I have the ODC and fish with 3 other guys with various outcast tubes. I love the ODC.

First of all, I have never sprung a bladder leak in the 3 years I have owned this tube. All of my Outcast friends have, not only once but several times. OutCast was always very good to replace them but it doesn't do any good when your in the middle of a lake/pond and your bladder empties. (I am talking about the bladder in your tube by the way) lol

If it is your other bladder you have more problems then I can comment on.

Anyway, one other thing I love about the ODC is the air valves are hiden inside the storage pockets. One less thing for your line to wrap around.

They are both good tubes, but for the money and the quality, the ODC is the bomb!

Good choice in my opinion....your going to love it if your not already!

BLong