PDA

View Full Version : Musky/Smallmouth trip to WI

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-01-2012, 08:42 PM
The week before we got there they had a freak storm dropping 8 inches of rain in a few days.

The rivers were still a little high when we got there last Sunday so we fished some lakes which held Walleye, Northern Pike, Musky, SMB and LMB.

As the week progressed we floated diffeent parts of the most beautiful wilderness rivers I have ever seen.

We all caught Musky but some caught the big ones that were 35 to over 40 inches.

I will put up more photos this coming week. Here is a average Smallmouth that we caught on top water.

Ed Wahl
07-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Way to go Bill!
You're definitely in Smallie country when that's your average fish.
Way jealous here.
Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-02-2012, 06:13 AM
You would love it there Ed.

Jim Christensen got one that was well over 4 pounds and a real brute. His largest ever.....

I will get a photo of it up here soon.

Here is a photo of one of my SMB being held by one of our guides, Greg Lutovski, who guides in WI and in WA.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-02-2012, 06:49 AM
Here is a photo of Jim Bare with a nice chunky Smallmouth.

Scott V
07-02-2012, 07:34 AM
Nice chunky smallie. Can't wait to see more.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Greg Anderson was Jim Christensen's boat partner.

Here is Greg with a Musky from a weedy lake.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Every night during our trip we ate at a different local backwoods restaurant.......fun.

One place had Chicago style "stuffed" pizza.......good.

Our guides said that up that way were lots of Catholics so all the local restaurants had fish every Friday night.

The fish was fresh caught Walleye Pike.....best fresh water fish in the world.

If you want to see a wonderful still very wild area in the USA go to WI.

jbird
09-07-2012, 03:25 AM
Great photos Bill! Its interesting fishing a place thats so beautiful and peaceful yet the fish are soooooo mean! :-) Most of this state is very uninhabited. The friday night fish fries are a tradition throughout this state. The strong amish population makes for some wonderful farmers markets and furniture swaps. I must warn you tho... we have THE WORST drivers I have ever seen anywhere. lol

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-07-2012, 07:29 AM
I really loved WI...........did not know there was a place in the US that had not been overdeveloped. Lots of nice AG land and then lots of wilds too.

The rivers and lakes are very beautiful with lots of lush vegitation.

I think I would just be a river Smallmouth junkie.....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-07-2012, 07:33 AM
While getting some food to go back there I asked a local about the best rivers back there.....they said the Bad River had the biggest Muskys but was on an indian reservation and hard to get on to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_River_(Wisconsin)

jbird
09-07-2012, 06:34 PM
I definitely am happy with the transition from western steelhead to wisconsin predators. What we do not have here is large trout in lakes (Tho the great lakes have huge trout...) Which I do miss lot.

The fishing Im doing here reminds me a lot of saltwater, in that I am mostly using huge flies and stripping them as fast as I can and the bites are viscious. Winters are tough tho

My new addiction :-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/JDS_4141.jpg

mar
09-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Cool pic Jbird! Exactly 3 trips specifically targeting smallmouth and I'm officially hooked. Fast pace fishing, covering lots of water and wicked, vicious eats on top. An awesome quarry for sure.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Those WI Smallmouth are "dark beauties"..............and they have to be fast to stay away from the Muskys.