PDA

View Full Version : Shasta Mcloud river arm???

Spicytuna1
06-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Got some friends heading up to Shasta for the fourth of July and they are camping on the Mcloud Arm of the lake and will have Jet Ski's.

Is it possible to Jet ski up then hike up and fish, or is this where the Conservancy is???

Any help or info is appreciated, feel free to PM.

dude02
06-27-2012, 04:35 PM
The bridge over the McCloud River on Fenders Ferry is on Westlands Water District land. From this point upstream, the entire river is private for miles (mostly owned by Westlands). The bridge is way downstream of the conservancy stretch. The McCloud Bridge Campground is on USFS land. There is a sliver of USFS land that touches the river just upstream and to the east of the bridge, but this is a short stretch of water.

I've never boated to the bridge so I can't tell you what it is like at current lake levels. A buddy has made it to the bridge with the lake nearly full. It would be worth a buzz up there to check it out just for fun. You might make it up high enough and the lake might be low enough that the river will be flowing downstream of the bridge. The water temperature might not be too bad yet, even that low. I know the water temperature at Delta on the Upper Sac is OK right now, but not for long. Hopefully somebody else has given this a try and can help.

BobVP
06-27-2012, 09:21 PM
As I understand it the local tribe there is holding a coming of age ritual on the McCloud River arm of the lake starting on the 30th! Not sure how long it will last or what restrictions may apply there. I suggest you call the Forest Service as they have been working with the tribe to make this happen.

Tfisher
06-27-2012, 09:35 PM
It is not possible to Jet ski up the McCloud Arm to then hike and fish, for as described earlier the land is private above the bridge owned (previously by the Bolibaka (sp) club and now) by Westlands.

Above them there is a sliver owned by a private land owner, then the McCloud River club, and finally by the Nature Conservancy. The Nature Conservancy area is several miles above the Westlands property and you would surely crash your jetski at Tuna Falls or the other numerous rapids before getting anywhere near there.

If you want to fish the McCloud your only options are: driving to the McCloud (Ah Di Na) then hiking down to the Nature Conservancy to fish there (only realistic option at this point), floating down (Class 4+/5 water) to the bridge (from Ah Di Na) and fishing along the way staying within the high water mark (not advisable unless you are a whitewater expert and have experience with the rapids in this river), or 3) paying $7000+ dollars to join the fly shop's exclusive pay to play deal for the ultra-rich on the lower river.

Spicytuna1
06-28-2012, 09:54 AM
It is not possible to Jet ski up the McCloud Arm to then hike and fish, for as described earlier the land is private above the bridge owned (previously by the Bolibaka (sp) club and now) by Westlands.

What about hiking up and staying below the High Water line, that is legal right?

dude02
06-28-2012, 11:01 AM
The Wintu ceremony goes through July 3rd, so it's a no go way up the McCloud arm until the 4th.

Pull an aerial map of the bridge area and you will see how steep the topography is. You might be able to stay below the high water line a short distance, but you will likely hit a bottleneck soon enough that will prevent further upstream movement on foot and still remain legal.

Since you have a jet ski anyways, just go up on the 4th and check it out. I'm sure you'll find enough water to mess around a bit.

If you are hot to trot to fish, I'd just do a crack of dawn run to the Upper Sac. The lower river will be still be OK temperature wise in a week. The Delta bridge is out of commission for a while, FYI. Or do a dry fly excursion in an evening. Let us know what you find.

Spicytuna1
06-28-2012, 11:50 AM
The Upper Sac is the main go to for them on this trip with an evening or two throwing dries. But since they were only 4 miles from the mouth of the Mcloud I figured it would be worth a shot. From the looks of Google Earth it seems it would be tough to get a Ski past the the bridge therefor making the fishing below the bridge or a small hike upstream.

I like how people are quick to jump the gun and say don't go on something like this when legality is on the side of the angler in this case. They don't plan on storming up river throwing rocks into the pools and trying to get into the private section for spite. Just a little exploration to mix it up for week they are staying there.

As for the Wintu Ceremony that is good to know and will make sure they stay away for that time period.

pgw
06-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Jet Ski from Lake Shasta to the Nature Conservancy...a sure winner.

Have fun,

Paul Wulf

Spicytuna1
06-28-2012, 02:33 PM
OK PGW though you might like to put others down to make yourself feel better (its OK many do). I believe the main idea is lot in translation here.

A nice way to break up this trip would be to do some exploring up that way since they are already right there. It might not even involve fishing.

Dude02 had some great info and even knows someone that has done this in the past, that is what I was looking for. I thank you for your input.

You know its nice to have a board where someone can post a legitimate questions or idea, only to have those whose shyte don't stink tell you their opinion which in this case sucks.

So I will leave this thread to you guys so you can jump on your high horse and tell whoever you want they can't to this, or your stupid to do that.

Great board here fellas.

Hell I get nicer responses on the Drake.

Cheers guys

aaron
06-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Tristan's info is spot on, he knows that stretch well.

And one comment in jest and suddenly the Kiene's board is worst than the drake? Thanks for that.

Spicytuna1
06-28-2012, 02:57 PM
And one comment in jest and suddenly the Kiene's board is worst than the drake? Thanks for that.

WOW I would like to see where "I get better responses on the Drake" Means the exact same thing as "The Kiene's board is worst than the Drake".

Because that is not what I said I guess there is some sort of translation code I am missing here.

Tight Lines Guys

Frank Alessio
06-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Why not just fish the Upper Sac... It is fishing very well right now....

Spicytuna1
06-28-2012, 05:03 PM
He is going to fish the Upper that is his main go to on this trip. He will likely only get a day or two to fish it but he is going to.

Since he is staying on the lake and will have two Jet Skies, being its only 7 miles by water to the mouth Mcloud he wanted to explore this area if he had some time to kill and was bored. So I wanted to be nice and ask about it on here. But apparently I was told not to go there, and it was stupid to go there. All while trying to do a favor for a friend.

And you know what its disappointing to have this kind of a response to an innocent post with a legit question. On a board that I have had a lot of respect for.

Frank Alessio
06-28-2012, 05:14 PM
The problem with the McCloud is the fact it is so private...The solution to this problem might be to hire a local guide.... If I was serious about fishing this river I would hire wayne Eng or Craig Neilson and shorten the learning curve...If I wanted to learn the Upper sac... I would hire me and not tell anybody....