PDA

View Full Version : dry fly stream

joshfish
06-24-2012, 04:40 PM
my thirteen year old really wants to catch some trout on the fly. he hasnt quite got the hang of nymphing yet so im looking for suggestions on streams you can throw dries on all day not just morning or evening. also ones that if you have to wade its not aggressive or deep wading. i dont want to spend all day worrying when he is in the water. not looking for secret honey holes just some place to have a good chance at catching some fish.

Troutstalker55B
06-24-2012, 05:37 PM
North Fork Yuba River. Eager trout, and a great place to get a beginner into some action on the dry. It's also a great place wear out a 13 year old. I had some clients last weekend that never ever held a fly rod in their hand and all of them hooked into some - It was neat! Best of luck to you.

Jon.

EricO
06-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Took the words right out of my mouth Jon. :)

My son is 15 and I like the NF Yuba since it's not super fast water, and plenty of
trout to rise to dries. Anywhere Downieville to Sierra City is good.

And after a hard day wearing him out, stop for ice cream in Downieville.

EO

Jet
06-24-2012, 06:02 PM
BE careful of snakes on the North Fork. Been a few years but Joey and I had great numbers on Salmon Creek in that area.. Lots of creeks and willing fish.

Jet

Mike O
06-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Lotsa good swimming holes on the NF Yuba

Darian
06-24-2012, 08:15 PM
The No. Fork Yuba would seem to be a long way from you. There should be some streams to the west of Redding like Coffee Creek or other tribs of the Trinity above Trinity Lake. How about the upper sacramento or Upper McCloud plus any number of other creeks up there :?: If you're concerned about your son wading deeply, you should make the trip about him.

Not wanting to sound like I'm lecturing but anyone can drown in 6" of water. You should stay nearby to be the safety net or make him wear a PFD.

Good luck and have fun.... :D

joshfish
06-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Any suggestions on flies? Looks like a trip to the north fork yuba is in store.

joshfish
06-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Darian, I'll look into tribs of the trinity. As far as the upper sac I've taken him up there but it doesn't dry fly fish good all day and he hasn't quite got the hang of nymphing yet. As far as the wading goes he onlway sighs 90 lbs and even if I'm right next to him like I usually am he is not comfortable with the current pushing against him.

Troutstalker55B
06-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Joshfish,

I just did a report for Sierra Hardware in Downieville and these dries are working;

Dries and Emergers; Yellow Stimulator #8 & 16, Royal Humpy #12-16, PMD/Para PMD #14&16, Yellow Humpy #16, X-Caddis #12-16 all colors, Elk Hair Caddis #12-16 all colors, Little Yellow Sally #14 & 16, and Black Ants #16.

These fish are eager and will hit anything with a good drift, as we get deeper into summer bring some club sandwich hoppers in tan & brown, tan & gray. There is a sweet campground out of Sierra City called Wild Plum, Haypress creek runs right though it and fishes well too.

Darian has a great point about Coffee creek and the upper Trinity. My family used to go up there and fish every June for a few weeks from the mid 70's through the late 90's. Eagle creek and Blue Tangle creek hold many wild fish as well, small but fun. Word of warning for fishing this area, you will encounter rattle snakes!

Jon.

KJE
06-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Joshfish,

What about Burney Creek? It is pretty maneuverable wading-wise, planted a fair amount and not all that far from Redding. Below the falls can be nice and cool on the hottest of days and has a good trail to get around on.

KJE

El Rey
06-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Josh, check your PM.

Harlan

goby
06-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Darian has a great point about Coffee creek and the upper Trinity. My family used to go up there and fish every June for a few weeks from the mid 70's through the late 90's. Eagle creek and Blue Tangle creek hold many wild fish as well, small but fun. Word of warning for fishing this area, you will encounter rattle snakes!

Jon.

I would call the Trinity Fly Shop, but it's never been an absolutely great place for me. I't been hit and miss, and it's a 2 hour drive from Redding. I'm not sure what the flows are like, or if they have planted fish yet.

Bob Loblaw
06-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Ditto Burney Creek. I was there last weekend and fished mostly Hat Creek and the Pit but one evening I went for a walk with my wife above the falls and the fish were hammering dries like crazy. I had promised her I was done fishing for the weekend but I snuck out of bed the next morning at 5:30 and had a blast. Light Hendricksen size 14 was the breakfast of choice.

Its very easy to fish and the scenery is spectacular. If you want to get a kid hooked on fly fishing this is your spot.

joshfish
06-25-2012, 06:31 PM
thanks for the input. looks like its time to make another loop out 299, across 89 and back 44.

JohnD
07-05-2012, 10:26 AM
When I lived in Redding my mother in law came to town and wanted to try fly fishing. I put her in my wife's gear and took her to the upper McCloud. Hopper and dropper and she had her first fish in minutes.
Burney creek is also a good suggestion.

dickwhite
07-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Lower Truckee - Nice caddis hatches every evening from Verdi to Reno right now. Dry emergers like an EC caddis or swing a birds nest were working well last week. Fish from 7ish to dark. Bring a headlamp to hike out in the dark.

High Country - Too many to list. Choose a wilderness area and hike in for the day.

Dick White
Tahoma