PDA

View Full Version : Redding to Eureka kid fishing opps in late July?

Snagly
06-24-2012, 07:28 AM
First trip planned to extreme No Cal in late July includes a couple of teenage non-fly fishing sons and a non-fishing wife. I've done enough Internet research to be thoroughly confused by the wealth of choices. To simplify, I'm not going to aim to do much too fast: I just want the boys to catch a few fish, even bass and crappie (with fly fishing an option, but not a necessity).

We're in for Redding a few days to start, and from the web it looks like Shasta has a lot of spotted bass and crappie. Are these fish plentiful and either accessible from shore or a rental? Any other ponds or lakes harboring panfish/ largemouths that new guys can take a crack at? Size is much less important than numbers.

From Redding the map is blank. It looks like there could be some kings running up the Trinity/ Klamath but I'm not keen to soak roe in the middle of a gong show.

If we go the whole nine yards to Eureka or Crescent City, does the fishing line up change appreciably?

Finally, if there are a couple of recommended family oriented motels/ resorts on or near fishable water I'd appreciate suggestions. (Based on 101.com everything looks great . . .but you can't believe everything you read!):roll:

joshfish
06-24-2012, 04:57 PM
as far as ponds go the ones that are easily accessable are usually full of weeds and a little harder to fish by july. as far as shasta the spotted bass are plentyful, the crappie from what ive heard are not and are very hard to find. the lake level will be down making bank access better. you will be better off to fish from a boat though (able to cover more water to find the fish). phill's propeller is a good place for info on gear fishing lake shasta.

Woodman
06-24-2012, 07:18 PM
The upper Sac above Shasta is a good option. Lots of easy access from I-5. Easy enough to do in a day from Redding.

A guided float on the lower Sac is another choice if it's in your budget.

Snagly
06-24-2012, 08:41 PM
From what I've read, the Upper Sac is pretty water and looks tailor made for fly fishing. If I bring two yard apes out with spinning rods will there be a mob with pitchforks and torches outside the Motel 8 later that night?

My personal fly gear is sufficiently heavy (8-10 weights) and valued (by me!) that I don't fancy lending it to my thugs. I do, however, have a friend with 5-6 weight rods that I may be able to borrow for The Boys for such a session . . . as long as he doesn't read this thread.

NCL
06-25-2012, 05:36 AM
For this area in general the 5-6 weight rod would be a much better option than a 8-10 weight rod. I have been trying to think of places and at that time of the year most I can think of need a floating conveyance of some sort. You might check the California DFG web site and see where there has been a trout planting.

Mike O
06-25-2012, 08:05 AM
If DFG says its legal, who cares about the pitchforks. Switch lures to single barbless if required, and you can fish spinners in "their" area if you want.

Check here. If the water isn't listed, it's wide open for any method of take.

http://dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2012/ccr-t14-ch3-art3.html

Mike