PDA

View Full Version : Stripers in the Lower American River......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-21-2012, 08:10 AM
August should be a top month for Stripers in the Lower American River.

Striper Commando Andy Guibord says he will start fishing for Stripers in mid-July in the American River.

Some from a drifting boat and some wading with a Spey rod....

If you want to catch Stripers on a fly later this summer I would get out one day with Andy.

Two-handed rods are the way to go for wading for Stripers.

http://vimeo.com/24152922

Andy Guibordsd Blog:

http://andyguibord.wordpress.com/guiding-instruction/

Barnett
06-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Hey Bill (and others),

I was on the lower A the other day and spotted a small school (5-7 individuals) of what I thought were striped bass. One was enormous (maybe 25 lbs), but there were some only around 24". I don't think they could have been pikeminnow or suckers, but I want to get some corroboration. I was further up river than most people seem to fish for stripers.

Tony Buzolich
06-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Barnett,

What you saw definitely sounds like stripers, especially a large fish followed by several smaller ones that are probably males cruising with a female.

As to how far up stream do they go? They go all the way to Nimbus Dam. I've taken them in the basin there and all throughout the Sailer Bar area clear down to the mouth. In winter they feed on the half-pounders, right now they're feeding on shad, summer they'll be eating baby lampreys (probably mature ones too), and throughout the year they'll eat crayfish, and squawfish, and whatever else they can put in their mouth. The American has a wonderful supply of food sources they can thrive on.

I'm sure too, that a lot of these bigger fish don't migrate with the regular spring run as most do. A bigger fish has more choices of food supply to choose from where as a smaller fish is limited as to what he can get into his mouth.

Get out there and go get 'um, Tony

Barnett
06-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Thanks Tony. I am new to this particular game, but pleased to have the opportunity to sight fish for striped bass!

What type of flow and structure features should I be looking for?