PDA

View Full Version : WTB 12-14 Wt Fly Rod (Reel also if you have one)

mikemwashere
06-18-2012, 09:17 AM
I am looking for a 12-14 weight rod for fishing the ocean. If you have a reel I am also interested in that as well.

Tony Buzolich
06-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Mike,

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything but a lot of guys want a low price just to stay within their budget. If that were the case you might consider getting a new TFO BVK rod and reel from Bill. Add backing and a line and you'll be around $650. The TFO package is an excellant quality deal for that kind of money.

Now, if you want to move up a notch or two I have an almost new SAGE RPLXi 13w with original tube and sock that I bought new a few years ago for sailfish. Along with that I also have an ABEL Big Game#4 (also bought new) spooled with a mile of gel spun backing and a S/A Floating line. Everything ready to go for $700.00 :)

Want something just a little less expensive? (notice I didn't say "cheaper") I can give you the same rod with a Redington Brakewater #11/12, the same 50# Gel spun backing and another almost new S/A Floating line for $650.00

The Brakewater is one of the most looked for reels on the market. It preceded the currant Redington CDL with one of the largest disc drags and hub assemblies out there.

Both of these packages are top of the line for saltwater pelagics.
Tony

Jay Murakoshi
06-19-2012, 06:41 AM
First, you mention ocean. Are you talking Pacific, Atlantic, Gulf Of Mexico or Baja. Marlin, Sails, Yellow Fin, Yellow Tail, Dorado, Roosters, Salmon, Ling Cod, White Sea Bass, etc.
What price range? My suggestion, if your fishing the salt, I would invest more in a reel with a good drag system and find a medium price rod. I'm down in Baja right now and have been using the TFO BVK series. At the beginning of my trip, starting in late April I caught a 40lb dorado using a 9 wt BVK, I'm also using the BVK 10wt, I have a 12 wt but haven't found a marlin will to eat a fly yet. They are here now but
I have a couple Redington Predator rods at home and they will becoming coming back with me in September for the dorado and hopefully Yellow fin tuna. Never have thrown the rods yet. They feel like a fast rod.

I'm sure you will get other posts regarding rods and reels

Good luck

Jay

mikemwashere
06-19-2012, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the info. I was in Cabo last week and the weather was too mild and the water temp was still a bit cool. Fish were not on the bite during my trip. We were cruising the pacific shoreline looking for Roosters but had little luck. Heading back down in Nov hopefully we will do better then. Good luck. If you wouldn't mind giving me an update when you are done and let me know how you did it would be appreciated.

Regards
Mike

bubzilla
06-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Check out ebay, Mike. Lots of brand new Abel Super series reels going for less than half of retail right now. Same for high end rods. I saw a Super 12 and a Loomis GLX Cross Current (reel was new, rod was used) over the weekend that you could have got together for around $600. They do not make better gear than that....

mikemwashere
06-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Thank you for the response, you are correct, I am just sitting patiently.