PDA

View Full Version : Planning to fish the Yuba tomorrow...

Mike O
06-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Wet wading in 100+ heat?? Yes, and please pass the SPF 2000.

We'll see how whe rolls.

Mike

kylgrn
06-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Yeah I wet waded it last Thursday and it was still a little tough but considering the alternative of wearing waders in this heat was out of the question.

Mike O
06-17-2012, 09:34 AM
Fishing was fine...my catching sucked.

A few caddis about, but just before dark was a great mayfly hatch. Some kinda Pale mayfly, but the fish weren't having any of what we were throwing.

Oh well, it was a great cool off.

Mike

alpen glow
06-17-2012, 04:09 PM
i saw an Osprey 8 years ago nail a 20 inch fish in the knee deep water at the first bend above the bridge one late afternoon. since then i often never wade deeper than that. also try to lengthen your leaders out to about 20 feet.
the fish aren't leader shy but if you float line them within 5 or 6 feet they'll get even more fussy.

Mike O
06-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Leader was not the problem...setting the hook was the problem.

Nooksack Mac
06-20-2012, 11:38 AM
...was in great shape over the weekend, clear and not high or low. Caddis and golden stonefly adults hatching. (And a big pod of newly released hatchery plants milling under the bridge in Downieville, at the mouth of the Downie River - not that I'd ever try for shellshocked refugees).

At Loganville FS Campground, a mile or so west of Sierra City, there's a short path from the top of the cg down to the river, one of the most beautiful little river gorges I've ever seen, with a rockrimmed low waterfall and wadeable run. I caught or missed rising rainbows from the shore - no need to wade in. (Now that I'm home, 882 miles away, I don't mind giving away its secrets.)

Mike O
06-20-2012, 06:26 PM
I've seen a lot of fish under that bridge too...I think the ones I saw were all squawminnows