PDA

View Full Version : R.L. Winston

joshfish
06-15-2012, 09:44 PM
i was given a R.L. Winston rod the other day and was trying to find some info about the rod. its a 8' #4 tmf serial # 38xxx. i was wanting to know what the year of the rod is and any olther info anyone has about it. got on the winston forum but waiting to be approved so i can post so figured i would check here also.

amoeba
06-18-2012, 03:29 PM
sounds like the "tom morgan favorite"; which has been made for a long time, and still is; it is a 2-pc, correct?

nvpescador
06-18-2012, 03:57 PM
A Tom Morgan Favorite, a fine gift...very nice.

Give them a call at the factory, they're incredibly helpful and they'll look it up for you probably while you're on the line. Probably get a same day reply if you email as well. Enjoy the rod.

R.L. Winston Rod Company
Phone: 406.684.5674
Fax: 406.684.5533

Web: winstonrods.com
Email: info@winstonrods.com
Repair Email: winfix@3rivers.net

joshfish
06-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Amoeba, you are correct it is a two piece rod.
Nvpescador, thanks for the info maybe I'll email them.

joshfish
06-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Emailed Winston last night. Got a reply back today. They said the rod was built in 6/7/95. It was built right around the time that started rolling their own blanks so it could be one of the first Winston blanks or a g- loomis blank. They would have to see it in person to determine that. Can't wait to get a reel on this thing and fish it.

dude02
06-27-2012, 08:29 AM
That rod is a true medium action (by graphite standards) and is considered one of the finer graphite rods ever made. Hell of a nice gift. Most people that I know fish it exclusively with dry flies or occasionally with dry/dropper. It flexes deep into the rod and is great for protecting fine tippets. Break it in right with dries on the Upper Sac, McCloud, or Hat Creek.

joshfish
06-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Started saving money for a reel and line. I have so many places In line that I want to go throw dries on with this rod. Up until now the lightest rod I've had is a 6wt. It will be nice to present dries a little more delicately.