PDA

View Full Version : Dry Fly Heaven

DAVID95670
06-15-2012, 08:35 AM
Shad what shad????

http://vimeo.com/3757864

Hogan Brown
06-15-2012, 08:43 AM
I have been there numerous times...it is dry fly heaven!!!! Not only dry flies though big foam dry flies.

Dan LeCount
06-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Big, dumb cutthroat. I think I could guide blind old ladies who never fly fished before into those. Sometimes I wish we had a bunch of those in the Truckee. The only trout that seems to like a fly skated almost more then a perfect dead drift. Just tie a gobb of rubber legs onto a wad of foam and you' e good-to-go. God bless em.

luckydude
06-15-2012, 05:04 PM
I have been there numerous times...it is dry fly heaven!!!! Not only dry flies though big foam dry flies.

I think I just found my summer vacation. So I have a bunch of questions.

Guides? The people who did the video or someone else? I tend to like pocket water so I'd be stoked to find streams coming into the Elk and wander up those. I've never drift boated, seems like cheating but I could be convinced :)

Rod size? Can I get by with a 5wt? The kids fish 4wts, too small or not?

If you could, would you spend a month up there?

If you had a couple of young boys (10 & 13) and a wife that likes being pampered (but she hikes and will fish), is there a lodge where we could all stay and she and the boys would be happy if I disappeared each day to fish?

Other stuff to do up there?

Thanks, this looks like an awesome destination!

Hogan Brown
06-15-2012, 09:46 PM
St. Mary's Angler in Kimberley, BC. Fish the St. Mary's and Skookumchuk Rivers.

luckydude
06-16-2012, 10:44 AM
St. Mary's Angler in Kimberley, BC. Fish the St. Mary's and Skookumchuk Rivers.

So if I can swing it what I might do is go spend july up there. Go to St Mary's on my own and then move over to Fernie and have the family join me there. Watcha think?

Hogan Brown
06-16-2012, 09:33 PM
If you can, go for it. The st Mary's has 3 stretches but you will need to book guides as access is limited to non existent. The scookumchuk is a bit of a drive on logging roads but once you are there it is very wade able with good access. Good luck.