PDA

View Full Version : fly reel & line carry on

Frank Gonsalves
06-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Do the airlines allow you to carry on fly reel and lines?

FISHEYE
06-14-2012, 10:01 PM
No problem with any airlines in the US. It is TSA that can sometimes be the problem (in their illogical sort of way) and also traveling in some other countries sometimes they do not allow lines or backing.

Tony Buzolich
06-15-2012, 05:35 AM
A few years ago we flew to Zihuatanejo to fish sailfish with no problem going down. On the return the Mexican authorities (TSA?) insisted that the line be removed. I responed by quickly repacking my reels into checked baggage.

Since then though I've made numerous trips to La Paz without any problem coming or going.
Tony

Jay Murakoshi
06-15-2012, 08:29 AM
In the past 8 weeks, I haven't seen any problems leaving baja but they do give the reels a second look. I don't think any of my people had problems leaving the country carrying their reels in the back pack.
I always check all my gear in the check in luggage. Could be good could be bad, just asked Darian about lost luggage.
The moral of this story, if you get your reels into country and your luggage is delay, what do you do for a rod?

Jay

Darian
06-15-2012, 08:31 AM
I agree with Tony. I've never encountered any problem with lines on reels going to/from La Paz.

Still, if you're concerned you can do what I've adopted by placing your spools with lines, etc., in your checked luggage and the reel frames in your carry on luggage. That should satisfy the security people.

I started packing things this way as I wanted to reduce any incentive or the amount of loss due to theft of reels or from lost luggage. That way I only have to replace one component form each reel. 8)

B Kane
06-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Flying in the US it's ok to carry on rods, reels, lines and some flies. The problem is in foreign countries. They all have their own rules. You can carry your rods into the country but generally you must check them in coming back. If you travel with a buddy bring some duck tape or velcro strapping and bind the rod tubes together so you only get charged for one extra bag or if your bag is long enough you can pack them into it. In the last year I've been to Russia, the Bahamas and Argentina and it's been different in each country.

golfnfish
06-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Going to Andros via Nassau there is no problem carrying rods, reels, flies on board. Returning home through Nassau, however, Bahama security required lines and flies checked. Rods were OK to carry on. Not sure about 2 or 3 piece rods as carryon as we all had 4 piece rods. Didn't go this previous spring but had been each of the last three years and those were the rules. They even allowed metal rod tubes carried on board.

NVswitch
06-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Coming back from Costa Rica this March. Security in San Jose would not allow the reels with any line on them in carry on. I had two options. Strip off all the line and backing off all the reels and throw the line away or place them in checked baggage.
I decided to place them into my checked baggage. I went back to where I checked in my bags where I was informed that now the bags were in back, I could no longer get them to place my reels into them. I ended up buying a cheap carry on bag and sent my reels with line in my backpack as a checked bag. The one nice thing is that I was not charged for the extra checked bag!! All bags and reels arrived ok back in the US.
In foreign countries, one never knows. Mike

Mort
07-01-2012, 05:30 PM
We had no problem with carry on bags flying to and from Belize. Flew out of Toronto and connected in Atlanta to arrive in Belize City. Vice versa to return from Belize. We had the reels with line and backing in my fishpond dakota carry on bag along with 3 rods in rod socks.

I don't understand the issue with flylines and backing. They may think it could be used to choke someone but so could the shoelace from my shoe or the power cord for a laptop or camera charger that is allowed in your carry on. Even the ear phones you may be using :-k Does not make any sense at all.