PDA

View Full Version : Tarpon Honeymoon

steelheadsicko
06-12-2012, 01:46 PM
The plan stay some where in the Florida Keys (hoping for suggestions) getting a guide for one maybe two days (hoping for suggestions) and then renting a flats boat to attempt to chase the poon on my own.
Does anyone have any experience with renting a boat and trying to "do it yourself", is it possible and if so any tips would be great
Any suggestions, for guides, lodging (cheap), boat rentals, and/or anything at all will appreciated.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-12-2012, 08:09 PM
May is the big month for large migrating Tarpon in the FL Keyes.

Mid-April to mid-June is a larger window.

There are some large resident Tarpon around all summer and some baby Tarpon around too.

These guys should be able to give you some help:

http://www.floridakeysoutfitters.com/

Tony Buzolich
06-13-2012, 04:05 PM
If you are in the Islamorada area book a couple of days with the same guide. You'll get to know him better and he'll be more open with what and where you can do or go. If you book at Worldwide Sportsman or at Sandy Moret's Key's Outfitters they're both in Islamorada and I've used guides from both shops and always been pleased.

After that, if you want to try it on your own, you can book a skiff or a flats boat at Robbies Marina ( just across the bridge from Islamorada on Matecumbe Key). I've used both types of boats but poling a flats boat isn't as easy as it looks. Rent a nice skiff (usually a Parker CC) and stay on the ocean side of the bridge (it's deeper).

If you fish the bay side there are lots and lots of shallow flats to get stuck on. ???How would I know this??? Also, all of the rental places will have you inspect your prop before you leave the dock. If it is returned with any knicks from hitting the bottom you'll be responsible for a new prop. There are lots of shallows with hard bottom. As you cross any of the bridges look at the shallows and you'll see lots of prop scars across the turtle grass. Not only will this result in a costly prop repair, it also damages the ecology of the area by tearing up the turtle grass.

Lastly, unless you're really good with a GPS, stay within site of the bridges and keys on Hwy.1 and use that as your home and you won't get in too much trouble. A cell phone with Robbies number is also very good idea. I've broken down out near Alligator Reef Light and they came out and did a repair in short notice.

There's plenty of good water within sight of the bridges. Hope this helps,
Tony

steelheadsicko
06-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys