PDA

View Full Version : Stripers in the Lower American River......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Right now the Striper guys like Andy Guibord believe that the big Stripers are mostly hanging around the big schools of Shad eating them for dinner. This makes them harder to catch on a fly.

Starting around mid-July when the Shad slow down some is when they start really going after the Stripers again in the American.It is usually good until it getsd cold in October. At that time they move to the Delta.

Some Stripers hold all summer in the lower American, Feather and Sacramento Rivers.

__________________________________________________ _________________

Terry Jenkins is one of the 'Striper Commandos' on the Lower American River. Recently he hooked a very large Striper on a fly which did get off. He went back upriver and floated back down over the area where he hooked the big fish and spotted a large school of larger Stripers, all over 20 pounds.

__________________________________________________ __________________

In about a month from now I would get with top Striper guide Andy Guibord and float the Lower American River for Stripers. It is very cool because throughout the day you might actually see some very big Stripers because the American is fairly clear.

Ryan
06-13-2012, 04:02 PM
I was guided by Andy back in 2007 I think. And we did spot all kinds of massive stripers. I got to watch two of them take my fly as well. It was really cool being able to sight so many. Money's well spent with Andy, he is really is an awesome guide.