PDA

View Full Version : Klamath and Agency Lakes

TPO
06-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Got an invite to fish Klamath and Agency Lakes this week from my fishing bud who recently bought a boat. We were blown off the lake on Monday, it was cold, raining, and very windy, we got sick and gave up after an hour. Things picked up on Tuesday and we managed to land a few fish on black seal buggers and intermediate lines, the picture below is one of our best fish. Wednesday was beautiful, but amazingly we only saw a boat or two all day, and no other fishermen. We trolled flies on sinking fly line and hooked, but lost, a couple of nice fish. The size of the fish blew me away. Really enjoyed it, hope to make it back again sometime.

Tom

Langenbeck
06-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Lake is still way too cold to force the bulk of the fish to the north end. After this cold weather this week the surface temperature is 58-59. It really gets good as the lake approaches 70 and that drives the fish to Pelican Bay, mouth of the Wood and the Williamson.

Thanks for the report and picture.

Langenbeck
06-08-2012, 09:21 PM
An honest average fish is 22-23"s but they are ugly and full of cocopods in the summer. Have landed 2 fish of 10 pounds and once hooked a beast in the 13-15 pound range. Here is an 11 pound fish caught and released by my friend Jerry
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/gordonl/AgencyLake11No27-1-2010.jpg

TPO
06-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks Gordon. Yes, I understand the average fish is about 4 lbs in Klamath/ Agency. We didn't get a weight or measurement for the fish I showed here, but it was probably in the 4-5 lb range. Does it get busy on the lakes a little later, in July??

Tom

Langenbeck
06-09-2012, 04:52 PM
A busy day in July may be 8-10 boats. Not many for 10,000 acres of water. A typical weekday in July will be 4-5 boats. In my view not much pressure because of the one fish limit and I wouldn't keep one with all the cocopods and you have to pay your dues to be successful here. Last week on a weekday was at Diamond Lake and there were well over 100 boats.

jbird
06-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Klamath has on and off years. Its all dependent on water temps. If its a cool summer the fish can be more spread out and with a lake of that size you dont want that. Like Gordon said, when the water warms up, the fish congregate in specific areas. We liked to start gambling early in the season and try to be among the first to be on the fish as they move in to the springs. We had a couple years where we really nailed it right. We were literally the only ones out and puting 20 fish in the boat. Once it gets crowded the fish can get jaded. I have experiences crowded weekdays when there are some 30 boats/tubes/pontoons in a relatively small area. (I never fished it on weekends) The last few summers I was on it at least once a week.

Heres a sample from one of our GREAT days when we were all alone and just goin to town on some toads

http://curtismix.smugmug.com/Travel/Heritage-fly-fishing/12294930_gBwJPX#!i=975873769&k=eaWuy&lb=1&s=A

Heres a slide show of some more...

http://curtismix.smugmug.com/Travel/Heritage-fly-fishing/12294930_gBwJPX#!i=975875066&k=BDVSE