PDA

View Full Version : South Fork American River

Sammy
06-08-2012, 02:36 PM
heading up to south lake next friday. want to stop and fish along the way. I know that section of river in the Kyburz area isn't super fishy, but would like to stop and fish anyways.

Is that section called the silver fork? Anybody have some general advice?

Mike O
06-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Check PMs?....

JasonB
06-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Kyburz area has lots of little fish, pretty fun dry fly action right now. Upstream is a lot more rugged and difficult hiking/wading, downstream is really simple to just pull off the highway and fish; anywhere that looks good probably is. No trophy trout fishery here, and the road is kind of obnoxious but otherwise this is some pretty nice water that I fish a lot (just too close and convenient not to).
JB

El Rey
06-09-2012, 10:27 AM
"Is that section called the silver fork? Anybody have some general advice? "

Just to clarify: the Silver Fork is a separate stream that joins the South Fork. To reach the Silver Fork turn right off of 50 onto Silver Fork Rd at Kyburz. Go 3 or 4 miles over the hill on a pretty good paved road until you meet the Silver Fork at China Flat Campground. From there the road follows the stream for about 8 or 10 miles with numerous pull-outs.

If you have the time, this would be the better option than the S Fork along hwy 50. (IMHO)

Harlan

amoeba
06-09-2012, 12:13 PM
heading up to south lake next friday. want to stop and fish along the way. I know that section of river in the Kyburz area isn't super fishy, but would like to stop and fish anyways.

Is that section called the silver fork? Anybody have some general advice?

there are fish there, but many people; so my general advice is don't bother with the Silver Fork - there are more fish and less people on smaller tribs accessible via Mormon Emigrant Trail starting just uphill from Placerville (around Sly Park); so go that way if you have time, and you'll end up closer to the E/W Carson if they don't strike your fancy. Get a map.

The friday drive up 50 to SLT - nawww - not what I'd do for a fishing route.

Sammy
06-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the info. Will post a report upon my return from the bachelor party and upon my hangover disappearing

El Rey
06-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Actually, amoeba's advice is good. Hwy 50 on a Friday is best avoided. If you take the Mormon Emigrant Trail up to Hwy 88 you have several good options: Woods Lake and the outlet stream (if it's open), or over the pass to the W Carson. I'm not familiar with the streams that amoeba recommended except Alder Creek. Then Hwy 89 up to the Lake is easy.

Enjoy,
Harlan

westslope
06-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Should you take HWY 50 to SLT don't hesitate to stop and fish any water along the highway. Some sections are more productive than others but all of it is fishy. I primarily focus my fishing between Kyburz and just below Whitehall. The obvious spots near campgrounds and forest tract home areas see more traffic, but many of the other spots see very few people each summer. A lot of the tribs to the South Fork are getting low and warming already adding to stressed fish. The South Fork and Silver Fork are in great shape and the fish are hungry.

I fished last night from 6:30 till dark and brought ~25 fish to hand. About 50/50 nymphs vs. dries. I typically start with a dry/dropper setup then move to hatch specific flies closer to dark. Tons of caddis/pmds/peds the last hour of daylight.

Dries:
Golden Stone or Stimulator (big attractor pattern that can float a nymph rig)
E/C Caddis
PMDs
Mercer's Missing Link (a new favorite)

Nymphs:
Sloan's Mighty May (pmd)
GB Mercer's Poxyback pmd
tan birds nest
red & chartreuse copper johns

Feel free to send a pm for more info.

Sammy
06-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the info. I WISH we could fish the evening time but it's probably going to be more like late morning, and only for a few hours at that.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-10-2012, 02:21 PM
You can leave after work on a week night if you live in or around Sacramento and drive up there for the evening rise.

On MapQuest it is 1 hour 22 minutes from our shop to Kyburz Lodge up on Hwy 50.

From our shop it is 1 hour and 34 minutes to Truckee CA.

From oir shop it is 1 hour 16 minutes to the Hwy 20 Bridge on the Lower Yuba River.

I would say that it is worth the drive this time of year.