PDA

View Full Version : My first trout of the season (pics)

Adam Grace
06-05-2012, 08:38 PM
I tried one of my fishing spots around the N.Feather today with polarized results. The beginning of the day was VERY exciting and the rest of the day sucked. As soon as I got to the spot I fished a confluence of the N.Feather and one of it's tribs and hooked up with a trout much larger than i was expecting. I only brought my old little 7' 3wt SPL to pursue small stream trout and ended up battling a ~15" bow. My rod was doubled over as I fought to keep this fish away from the stronger current while it was peeling line off my simple click/pawl reel and thrashing around with the type of fight that I always hope for. Finally after about 3 runs out and much head-shaking I beached (since I didn't think that I'd need my net today) this bad boy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP0048-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP0046-1.jpg

This first trout of the season is the largest trout that I have ever caught there!!!

About 5 minutes later I experienced another strong fight, not as spectacular as the first, yet much better than the 6-10" trout I was making the trip for. :) This one was fatter but not quite as long.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP0050-2.jpg

These fish gave me big smiles and made this a good day. Unfortunately I only landed a few other very small trout up the trib. The fishing during the rest of the day was bad and caused me to leave for home much earlier than I expected but at least I got a couple large fish in the morning.

I wish that I could have had a picture of my little 3wt doubled over on those larger fish :)

atavuss
06-05-2012, 09:46 PM
very nice looking full finned trout there!
Try a GoPro video camera on a chest or head mount and get all the action from cast to release.........

jbird
06-06-2012, 03:23 AM
Way to go Adam! Love the way those fatties dwarf your little rod. What a blast!

Kneedeep
06-06-2012, 03:44 AM
Nice job with the 3wt....beautiful fish!
Nothing like some monsters on lightweight gear to test your skill and pucker the "ol sphincter.:D

Paul B.
06-06-2012, 05:45 AM
Thank you for the post and pics Adam. I'll be up that way in a couple of weeks.

Morgan
06-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Nice pics. GOtta love the bend on a 3wt :)

Mark Kranhold
06-06-2012, 07:23 AM
That's a chunk Adam, way to go!!I hope to get into some of those on the MFFR. Thanks for the post.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Scott V
06-06-2012, 07:46 AM
You must have been doing your pig call, because that there is a piggy piggy.

EricO
06-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Wow, that second specimen is unmarred. Perfect!

Way to go Adam....I would have liked to see your rod torqued over too.

EO

Adam Grace
06-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks guys! The fight of the first fish was EPIC! Tons of head shaking, thrashing around the surface in between some pretty long runs. I was lucky enough that I could ease him away from the run below, which would have led to me chase it a long ways downstream. Next time I will bring a net ;) That fish on that light gear is what keeps me, and fellow fly fishers like you, coming back for more. :)

wineslob
06-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Nice fish, just wait till you hook one of the BIG boys..............