PDA

View Full Version : Farm ponds in South Dakota & Nebraska

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-04-2012, 08:26 PM
We have been in SD for about a week visiting relatives.

The weather has been cool and windy but finally yesterday in was calm and almost 90 degrees.

We fished half dozen different ponds just over the boarder in Nebraska on a family ranch.

Yesterday in the evening (7pm-9pm) we finally got to a large (200 acre) pond on the 7,000 acre family ranch.

On one part of this large 100 foot deep stock pond was a flat that went out over 100 feet for about 100 yards with a solid sand bottom to a big weed bed.

I was able to wade in about two feet of clear water casting to the inside edge of this weed bed which was about 3 feet deep.

It was like flats fishing with tons of bass in the shallows feeding.

This was the best top water bass fishing I have ever had………all top water with a small Umpqua Swimming Frog and wading to beat.

Fish were one to four pounds………..

jbird
06-05-2012, 03:26 AM
That sounds incredible Bill! What a strange sounding environment.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Yes JBird

I have seen old articles from Florida where they have shallow clear water where they were wading for bass but not a common setting.

Salvage
06-06-2012, 10:29 PM
We have relatives in So. Central NE and the black bass fishing is excellent this time of year not only in small farm ponds but also in small urban lakes. The community that they live have park ponds have C&R regulations that make it even easier for novice fly fishers to catch plenty of 1-2 lb bass. The local Cabelas store has mostly bass flies in their fly fishing section.

Scott Thornley
06-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Yesterday in the evening (7pm-9pm) we finally got to a large (200 acre) pond on the 7,000 acre family ranch.

On one part of this large 100 foot deep stock pond ....

Your definition of pond differs significantly from mine :)

Sounds like a ton of fun. One of the major appeals of my job, is traveling to the midwest in the summer time. Love the warm evenings, doing a couple hours of fishing after work. Watching out for 'skeeters and thunderstorms....