PDA

View Full Version : Western Colorado Adivce

Jet
06-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Joey and I are going to try and spend a few days fishing Colordao. He was born there and we have not fished it at all except for an evening on the Animas when he was 8. Thinking about western Colorado. Crested Butte was one place I wanted to see and fish. We will be camping and looking for a place where we could try and hit multiple destinations from. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jet

El Rey
06-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Hi Joe and Joey,

It's been several years now, but I have friends who used to live in Glenwood Springs. While visiting I had the chance to fish the Frying Pan, Roaring Fork, and the main Colorado. All are good, but they get pretty crowded. One time we camped in a beautiful spot on the Frying Pan up above Reudi Reservoir. It's wasn't the blue ribbon area, but fishing was very good. These are my only Colorado experiences. Hope this helps.

Have a great trip.

Harlan

jayclarkflyfishing
06-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Jet
I spent the early 90's living in Crested Butte. The Slate and East Rivers are pretty nice but the Taylor below Taylor Reservoir is the premier river in the area with very large rainbows and technical fishing. The Gunnison River above Blue Mesa is another nice option. Contact Dragonfly Anglers http://www.dragonflyanglers.com/ for more information.

I miss that area tremendously. I hope you and Joey have a great time!

Jay

Larry S
06-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Jet,
If you PM me your name and address, I'll send you "The Colorado Angling Guide," by
Chuck Fothergill and Bob Sterling. Used to fish the Dolores; but, drought and
whirling disease took its toll. Book got wet and is a bit out of shape; but, still
very readable. Most of the damage is toward the back in the map section.
Best,
Larry S

Jet
06-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the offer Larry. I have a copy of Flyfisher's Guide to Colorado by Marty Bartholomew.
I learned to to fly fish and tie from Marty back in the early 90's. Seems there are many camp grounds in the area and it looks like a good location to hit multiple destinations. This is going to be a free style trip which is a little out of the norm for us but should be fun. Will try to fish four states (Montana, Utah, Colorado & New Mexico). License costs are going to be high. I'll try to get some pictures and post a report when we return.

Thanks,

Jet