PDA

View Full Version : Starling Murmuration

Mark Kranhold
06-04-2012, 09:16 AM
This ones for Jbird. Pretty cool and amazing video footage! http://vimeo.com/31158841

k.hanley
06-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Say hey fysh...........
I first saw this about 6 months ago. I know we often use "awesome" to describe something (usually much less than awesome in most cases).

For me, this is truly an awesome experience to witness. I could only imagine how each of the paddlers felt. It sure puts an exclamation over your head sitting in that canoe!

Thanks for posting this again.
Cheers, Ken

Mike McKenzie
06-05-2012, 08:54 AM
I had a duck blind along Willow Creek between the Sacramento and Delevan Refuges and aside from watching the sun rise over the "Buttes" and touching Snow Mountain, we used to to watch huge flocks on Blackbirds and Starlings doing the same thing. It is amazing that so many critters can turn as one entity and with such co-ordination yet seem to be utterly aimless in direction. It always reminded me of watching Amoebas under the microscope in high school biology class.. but definitely more interesting.... Funny how we as fisher folks watch bait fish do the same thing and think nothing of it!

Mike

jbird
06-05-2012, 02:17 PM
This is such an amazing video. Ive seen it many times and never tire of it. I would love to have been there to hear the sound of them!

Thanks for posting :-)

BillB
06-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Sounds like a heart condition! In the spring we see "mumurations" often on our way to Morro Bay just outside the Kern National Wildlife refuge. The word is what intrigues me. Hope I can remember it the next time I see a murmuration.