PDA

View Full Version : Lake Natoma Update

JAWallace
06-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Last night I broke a long fishless streak on Natoma with a nice chunky 3# smallie. There is an area about 15' x 20' that used to be practically guaranteed for a smallie every time and that's where I found her. I've been complaining recently about how great the fishery used to be and how bad it is now and until recently could not figure out why. Talked to DFG and they said lack of food. I don't buy that because of the crayfish population and they haven't stocked the lake for over five years. I do know the pond smelt population from Folsom is down, however.

I won't give a super public location, but it's where a lot of us have fished the Hex hatch over the years. There are four prime spots that held bass, and my usual pattern was to make three casts to each area and if nothing took I'd leave as the chances of success were then minimal. Rarely did that happen. Until recently, I've never seen a carp there. Recently I've seen a couple of stragglers in the bass spawning areas, and last night the entire area was loaded with them. There are now beavers all over the area as well, although I don't know if they cause much harm other than trashing the tules which they've done.

I think the fish I've graphed over the past few months that wouldn't take anything are carp, not bass. There are so many everywhere I feel the fishery is probably pretty much ruined with these egg eaters. Not sure if there's any remediation, probably not as DFG doesn't care much about Natoma and Sac State thinks they own it. Thoughts?

ted1
06-04-2012, 12:34 PM
On the other side of the lake, in the ponds, there are probably hundreds and hundreds of carp spawning right now, I have had over 50 within casting distance, some over 20 lbs. There are ALOT of carp in that lake.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-04-2012, 08:41 PM
I think in July right at sunset thet get a big #6 may fly coming off.......big yellow Hexagenia.

kabah088
07-11-2012, 09:05 PM
bow fishing anyone?

Ed Wahl
07-12-2012, 04:10 PM
bow fishing anyone?

I checked on that years ago. Bowfishing is not allowed in Natoma.

Ed

kabah088
07-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Ed-

That is very unfortunate. Growing up I have watched this fishery go to shit.... especially in the ponds. I live less than a mile from here.

I distinctly remember having a massive bass ( i was 12 at the time) gulp up my banjo minnow before my eyes only to have myself rip the lure right out of its mouth.

Now all i see are tiny bass/sunfish and carp carp carp. Even in the bay near the automall.

I was under the impression carp bowfishing is legal. Do you have a link where it says bowfishing is illegal in Natomas?

I would say there is a lack of food due to all these damn carp.

Ed Wahl
07-12-2012, 09:33 PM
It was a long time ago K, whichever entity is on the sign at Wilow Creek is the one I called.
The bay near the now 'automall' is where I started fly fishing.
Ed

JAWallace
07-13-2012, 12:12 AM
If you're thinking about fishing the Hex hatch, forget it.

The parks now close at 8 pm. I was pretty furious when the ranger told me (at 9:10 pm ) that next time I'd get a citation and 8 pm meant out of the park at 8 pm.

I was there a week ago and saw no Hex, but a lot of trash. Used to be a great place if you knew the lake. Too bad.

Next Day Edit: Confirmed this AM that Negro Bar is open until 9PM. Not sure if there is any Hex activity in the upper lake--don't know that portion as well however trout and king salmon from Folsom are being caught there.

Frank Roepke
07-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Carp on the ponds sounds like a blast, I have wanted to get into that but didn't know of a good place. I might bring the 3wt and give it a try Sunday PM. Sorry to hear about the quality of bass going down hill....

Frank

kabah088
07-24-2012, 08:14 PM
The lagoons north of CSUS WILL have carp. I doubt they are going anywhere. I have seen literally a 100 in the south eastern most pond near the bike trail. Take as many as you like. They are rooting up the bottom near the weeds. They also sometimes sip unknown objects off the surface. I have never been able to dial carp in on the fly or on the spin setup. Then again i never really tried hard.

bassakwards
07-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Anyone see a problem with snagging these non native, invaders?

Scott V
07-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Anyone see a problem with snagging these non native, invaders?

I have a problem with it, snagging is for people who can not catch fish. Plus how do you know if removing them is the correct thing to do. People need to stop messing with nature and let it fix itself. Plus I am assuming "which I could be wrong" but if you snagged them you would probably just let them die on shore. Which I have a big problem with. Killing for no reason is wrong. There are some of us that like to fish for carp.

And since you are talking non-native, should we do the same for stripers? I bet your answer would be no or it better be no.

Not to be a jerk, but what gives anyone the right to remove fish from a piece of water that they do not legally own. It is not your water, if you do not like what is in it, find another place to fish.

kabah088
08-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Scott,

I can tell you 10 years ago there were not about 100 carp in the estuaries. Now they are there and rooting up the bottom like hogs.

I recall hooking a big ol' bass on a banjo minnow back in the mid 90's. Also my first times fly fishing where back in the Northwest corner where i caught a hand sized sun fish on a rd ant.

Knuff soap box. Im out :ninja: