PDA

View Full Version : Las Cruces

Jay Murakoshi
05-30-2012, 07:21 PM
We fished the Las Cruces area today in hope to finding some dorado. We weren't disappointed.
First we got bait in El Sergento (ballyhoo) the only thing on the menu. The water has been flat the past two days, so motoring was easy. We soon found a bunch of sargasso around the Punta Gorda area but no dorado in the area. We slowly motored to each patch of grass and finally found a couple dorado looking for a meal. We threw one ballyhoo and nothing doing. My partner Jerry threw a crease fly and the dorado dart right to it. A missed hook up. Then it was time to move and find others. Long story short, we probably had 8 maybe 10 dorado that we had shots at and they were all interested in eating. All you had to do was persuade the right one to eat the fly.
I was using a sea habit white knight and they were coming up and just sniffing the fly and turning away, so I changed to a white/tan wig hair fly and that little change was just what the dorado wanted. FISH ON !!!! Jumping a dozen times or so it made a run and then back to the boat. I busted into a sweat but landed the fish on a 9wt rod using a RIO WF-9-F/I.
The fished weighed 25lbs. Every fish we saw today all were over 20lbs.

Could this be the end of the drought

Jay

Photo's to come, that's if the captain clicked the shutter

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/IMG_0009.jpg