PDA

View Full Version : McCloud Nature Conservancy

BHirayama
05-30-2012, 02:06 PM
I have three rods reserved for Sunday, June 10 on the Nature Conservancy stretch of the McCloud. I have fished the McCloud on a couple of occasions, but never on the Conservancy. Any tips/suggestions on what to expect? Thanks!

Mik
05-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Tips...be stealthy, use more weight, focus on edges under elephant ear bushes, and be sure to enjoy yourself. It is a beautiful stretch of water.

BHirayama
05-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks Mik. I know that there are only 10 rods on the stretch, but can is still get crowded even with the limited rods? Thanks! We are really looking forward to our trip.

Ron B
05-31-2012, 02:40 PM
Brian

Looking forward to your report out on the trip (with photos!!)

Ron

Mik
05-31-2012, 03:52 PM
I sent you a pm. I caught this RB last October at the conservancy. Good luck!

Rherrjr
06-02-2012, 10:42 AM
I have fished the Conservancy several times. My experiences have been wonderful. Lovely land and the fish were biting! I did on one occasion have an issue with a guide that was attempting to get his client in the same hole I was fishing, and was rather rude with the process. There is so much great looking, very readable water here that with only seven others rods out you should not have an issue getting away from anybody. From what I recall, most my luck was with small midge patters i.e. wd-40 and zebra midges 18-22, PTs and Micro Mays 18-20. Put after growing up fishing Putah its hard for me to fish anything else:roll:

Troutstalker55B
06-02-2012, 01:49 PM
I did on one occasion have an issue with a guide that was attempting to get his client in the same hole I was fishing, and was rather rude with the process.

The fishery comes first, the public second, and guiding is last. It's too bad you did not get a name or business of the guide - State and federal agencies as well as the public need to know.

The McCloud is HOLY WATER.

Jon.

JasonB
06-02-2012, 07:38 PM
The fishery comes first, the public second, and guiding is last...
Jon.

I like that, couldn't agree more with your priorities.
JB

Bruce Slightom
06-03-2012, 09:01 AM
I fished the Conservancy last week. Dark nymphs worked better than lighter colored one. Small worked better than larger. The pattern did not seam to matter so much as the size and color. Prince nymphs, Dark Lords, PT's, olive Hares Ears, WD40's and midges produced better than Birds nest and light Hares Ears.

A few stones flying around but did not see any on the water yet. Some mayflies on the water in the afternoon and a Parachute Adams worked well.

A member of the group I was with encounter a bear with a cub and had the bear stand up, he backed away and gave the it time to move on.