PDA

View Full Version : Silver Fork or Caples Creek Report?

esummers
05-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows how the flows are looking for Caples and Silver Fork. Thinking about heading up there tomorrow on a motorcycle ride (and a flyrod strapped to the steel horse:).

robdog
05-30-2012, 10:07 AM
I haven't been up there yet, FYI. There will be increased flows on these two streams in August. It is usually a good time to hit these spots up, so keep this in mind for that quick afternoon trip to these streams. Here is an article from the region's local paper (http://www.mtdemocrat.com/archived-stories/caution-urged-at-caples-creek-silver-fork/).

esummers
05-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Stopped by there yesterday on a motorcycle ride. Brought the fly rod with me. Flows were a little high (although I have very little experience with these streams so take with a grain of salt). I only fished a couple of hours and picked up only two. That being said, I was throwing a dry fly the whole time. Probably should have put a bobber on, but just couldn't do it - too lazy I guess. Never saw a rise - I'm guessing that water is really cold and they aren't that active yet. Also, I fished between 1-3, so the dry flight bite might have turned on after that as things warmed even more.

While the catching wasn't good, what a beautiful day in the mountains!! No traffic post holiday and great temps made for an amazing day on the bike.

Tight Lines