PDA

View Full Version : Highway 89 from Tahoe City to Truckee

flyfishingdad
05-28-2012, 06:02 AM
I drive into Tahoe City a couple times during the summer and was wondering if there is any fishable water in this stretch and can I access it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Morgan
05-28-2012, 07:24 AM
book a trip w/ bigfly...you wont be dissapointed. He knows the area VERY well.

bigfly
05-28-2012, 08:20 AM
FFD, There is some fishy water along that stretch.
Seasonally......
Since they release from the surface of Lake Tahoe,
the water can get a little warmish for the Trouts in the river.
Flows may be low this year as well, on that stretch.
It is beautiful right now though!
It is the General regs section, so many fish go home for supper.
Campgrounds along that stretch.......
Also it is USFS permited land.
I only guide Ca. waters, from Truckee downstream.
Try Brian at Four Seasons for a guide there.
Thanks for the plug though, gangster.

Jim

Frank R. Pisciotta
05-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Bigfly is correct; the area along state route #89 is Tahoe National Forest lands; USFS permits are required. A nuance on the Truckee River below the town of Truckee is that there are limited ingress and egress areas that are USFS lands; notably the Glenshire Bridge area; a USFS Permit is required. Also, along this "Glenshire" stretch another USFS area access point...alternately known as the White House, Polaris, Pink House or Cat House Hole area; a permit is required there.

If one wants to ascertain Tahoe National Forest lands, get a USFS map. Anything that appears green is Tahoe National Forest lands; a Tahoe National Forest Special Use Permit is required to commericially operate there.

Jim is correct in referring Brian, who has a USFS permit, as do three (3) others, myself included. The reason why I bring this up is because the permitees are now required to pay 4%+ of their gross fees when using USFS lands; 3% to the Feds ("Option B") and now Sierra County is in our pocket for 1+% via a complicated formula. :crybaby: Also there is no requirement via CA DF & G guide licensing for liability insurance, but such is required for the USFS permit. A $1000 bond required by CA DF & G is not liability insurance.

So, permitted guides do in fact have higher operating costs; something to consider when hiring guides in the Truckee area. :-({|= Also, during the last few years there has been an issue with out-of-the-area guides who are operating without permits on Tahoe National forest lands... [-X bad boys & girls.

Frank R. Pisciotta

aaron
05-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Also, during the last few years there has been an issue with out-of-the-area guides who are operating without permits on Tahoe National forest lands... [-X bad boys & girls.

Hi Frank, I've noticed a few guys posting quite a few pics of guided trips on the T where they obviously aren't permitted. Is there anything being done to crack down?

Frank R. Pisciotta
05-29-2012, 05:06 AM
Hi Frank, I've noticed a few guys posting quite a few pics of guided trips on the T where they obviously aren't permitted. Is there anything being done to crack down?

Aaron---Lately I personally haven't noticed pics of guide trips on obvious USFS lands along the Truckee river. Please remember that most of the Truckee river below the town is not USFS lands, except the two areas I mentioned in my previous post, plus a few others not mentioned (I'd have to look at the map again). Only when guides are operating ("working") on Tahoe National Forest lands is a permit required and both usage and fees paid to the approriate agency.

As for enforcement, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bust or two this season. For sure, those unpermitted guides operating on Tahoe National lands are being noticed by local anglers and the permit holders. Simplistically, it all gets down to a sense of "fair play" with rules we, admittedlly, may or may not agree.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Mike O
05-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Protect your business Frank. Bust those who can't follow the law

aaron
05-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback Frank, twas mostly last season. What permits are needed for folks to guide the Little Truckee?

Dan LeCount
05-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback Frank, twas mostly last season. What permits are needed for folks to guide the Little Truckee?

The same Tahoe National forest permit. (along with guides license, bond + insurance).
2 weeks ago I saw a guy guiding out there that has been seen multiple times. I talked to him for a while politely to see how things were going, any fish rising, , etc. You know, the usual banter, then went on my way. Later that afternoon I saw him at lunch and asked him how it went on the LT. Right off the bat he lies to me and said he wasn't out there and was somewhere else. His client started staring at the ceiling and shuffled his feet. Whatever. Just shooting themselves in the foot lying to people and being shady. It comes back in the end.

Frank R. Pisciotta
05-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Aaron---Dan is correct; USFS Usage Permits are required by any guide who operates on the LT below the dam.

Also, most of the LT from its headwaters at Webber Lake through Perazzo Meadows to the boundaries of private land is USFS lands; a permit is required. Again, takeout a forest sevice map...if green...permit. Also, Milton Lake is on Tahoe National Forest lands.

A guide operating under a permit also is required to visibly display a badge annotating their name & the Permit Holder's name. The 2012 Badge is powder blue. Last year's is yellow which some permit users are currently using; the assumption is that they have not received the 2012 blue ones from the permit holder under whose permit they are authorized. No badge, be suspiciious...:ninja:...possible scammers who do not believe in "fair play", have a disdain for laws, believe laws do not apply to them or have political or philosophical rational for not playing by the rules...take your choice.

Mike O----Yes, the hope is that the powers to be know who the violators are and they will enforce the laws and make a high-profile bust or two. [-o< I'm also a believer in diplomatic, peer pressure....we'll see if people receive the message. If not...as they said in the old TV Hawaii 50 "...book-em Dano"

Frank "Honest Abe" Pisciotta

Dan LeCount
06-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Frank, I just got my 2012 badges from the USFS and they sent both a blue and a backup yellow one. Since the ones from last year would tear real easy, I appreciate the extra.

:D