PDA

View Full Version : MFFR - Prime Time Is Now!

Troutstalker55B
05-27-2012, 09:10 PM
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/moto55b/MiddleForkFeather34_4_1.jpg

After a good soaking of rain, thunder and lighting on Friday I flew up the hill early Saturday morning to meet Dan for a glorious day on the Middle Fork Feather. The rains brought the river up about 6 inches from the previous day and the water temps started out at a cold 48.6 degrees. We fished the water around the town of Graeagle and after hitting 3 runs with not a bump I recommended we go to another spot, adding the time traveling will be to our benefit to let things warm up and get going. When we arrived at our our new spot the water temps had already climbed to 51 degrees. I also noticed there was not a fresh foot print to be seen at our new location - "This is a good sign" I said to myself.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/moto55b/MiddleForkFeather29_1_1-1.jpg

Right away Dan was into his first of at least 30 hook ups today, to be honest we lost count - It was that good! Yellow Warblers, Western Tanagers, and many other song birds gave us an orchestra of delightful melodies the entire time on the water, it was the perfect setting for an angler's first time on the MFFR. Dan possessed some serious fly fishing skills which enabled us to really decipher the runs and riffles, breaking it all down and presenting our flies to the correct water. We high sticked nymphs under an indicator with a little lead. Effective flies were PT flashbacks with a clear bead #16, Z Wing caddis emergers #12 in olive, and the San Jaun worm in earth color.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/moto55b/MiddleForkFeather30_2_1.jpg

There were so many different bugs out like this March Brown above, PMDs, Green Drakes, BWOs, Little Green Stones, Caddis, and Midges were seen hatching throughout the day. To my delight Ameletus (the brown dun) mayfly nymphs were actively swimming about in the side water, for a bug connoisseur like myself it was the icing on the cake! A few risers were present, but those rainbows really wanted it underneath today.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/moto55b/MiddleForkFeather32_3_1.jpg

This is your average sized wild rainbow of the MFFR, fish today ranged from 10-14 inches and full of fight. We had multiple aerial displays right in front us with many fish leaping out of the water more than once.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/moto55b/MiddleForkFeather35_5_1.jpg

The fish are stacked up in pods at the tail outs of runs like this one above that had sufficient holding water with depth associated with it. We found different runs produced better than others, often times giving up 3-5 fish in a very small piece of water that would measure 10 x 10 feet.

Today was one of those days where your client can do no wrong, a day I will remember for a long, long time!

Morgan
05-28-2012, 07:24 AM
Awesome report and pictures.
Really makes me want to get out there.
Thanks for sharing.

Frank R. Pisciotta
05-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Jon---

Being the bug expert that you are, why not let the board known about your clinic on the North Fork of the Yuba that you will be having next month. I know you're low-keyed, but I noticed there are unsolicited clinic promotions on the North Fork of the Yuba...so why not blow your own horn. You know that water as well as anyone I know.

Frank R. Pisciotta

PS: Is that a Don King indicator that I see in your second image?

Troutstalker55B
05-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Frank,

When it comes to bugs, the more I educate myself, the more complex it can be. Living with a biologist does not make it easy either. I talk in layman/fly fisher lingo and she talks the straight science (and yes, she blinded me with science!). But this is why we both want to promote our bug classes that can be found under the entomology heading of this board and on my website - We want people to be able to understand the bug world in a easy and fun way. Those indicators are made by the Thill company, bought them from Cabelas. I don't use the pin or the toothpick, but a sliver of surgical tubing - I'll have to show you sometime.

BTW folks - I'm now permitted to operate in the Tahoe national forest which includes part of the North Fork Yuba river under Thy Rod & Staff's USFS special use permit. Toot Toot!!!

Jon.

aaron
05-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Nice report and great pics Jon, keep em coming.

Mike Churchill
05-28-2012, 05:00 PM
That first shot nearly had me running to the garage to start loading gear in the SUV. The rest were terrific as well. Please keep the reports coming.

I've never fished the MFFR, but I think I'm going to have to remedy that gap in my experience.

What time of year does the topwater action start to get fairly consistent (if ever)?

Mike

Troutstalker55B
05-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks Aaron - Will do!

Mike - On average the MFFR dry fly action is good June, July, and as the heat comes on of summer, mornings have good spinner falls and the last hour of light can be magic with caddis and pale evening duns. It pays to fish below the Two Rivers access where Jamison creek enters when the river warms up, this is the main source of cold water in the upper watershed. It resumes again in Sept, and Oct. Water temps need to be around 52 degrees before they will come up to the surface.

Jon.

Frank R. Pisciotta
05-29-2012, 05:26 AM
Frank,
But this is why we both want to promote our bug classes that can be found under the entomology heading of this board and on my website - We want people to be able to understand the bug world in a easy and fun way.

BTW folks - I'm now permitted to operate in the Tahoe national forest which includes part of the North Fork Yuba river under Thy Rod & Staff's USFS special use permit. Toot Toot!!!

Jon.

Jon---Since I seldom go to the Entomology section I didn't notice the announcement of your bug clinic.

Which elicits a question to Aaron:

What is the preferred BB protocol relative to topic heading for announcing classes, clinics or guide info? I've noticed that contributors have used both "General" and "Rivers & Streams"

Frank R. Pisciotta

PS...Jon, in the future let the board know about "Prime-Time" on the NF Yuba in the area you're permitted while operating on Tahoe National Forest lands.

jayclarkflyfishing
05-29-2012, 07:55 AM
What a difference a day makes. Yesterday was about as tough as it gets on the river. Water temps were down almost 10* from Wednesday and the fish were lockjawed. My normal spots didnt produce, but we were finally able to get into some fish late in the day swinging soft hackles. Temps were up to 58* late in the afternoon. Lots of bugs out too. Really nice Sulfur hatch by Two Rivers and caddis, little yellow sallies, march browns and bwo's around Graeagle. The river will be low and clear by the middle of the month and as fast as it came up the other day it has already dropped that amount and another 6". By the way Jonny, it was dumping snow in Gaeagle when I drove through on Friday to my graduation.

Get it while its good, cuz this window will be gone in a flash.

Jay

Boondoggle
05-29-2012, 08:27 AM
Jon's post says it all. I was his "dude" on Sunday. I actually started fishing in Graeagle Saturday afternoon before I met up with Jon on Sunday. I had some success on Saturday, but what a difference an experienced guide makes. Jon got me into many, many willing fish on Sunday and it was absolutely fantastic. I've been flyfishing since I was 6, but I can't stress enough how that local guide expertise makes it better regardless of your skill set. I've always wanted to learn more about tactics and techniques for the MFFR and Jon was a great teacher. I had a great time.

Boondoggle

Troutstalker55B
05-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Jay is so right about "prime time" gone in a flash, especially this year. The rainbows will travel as far as they have to find the "epic" summer home (think downstream). During the summer months you can fish great looking water during the day and not see a fish, but keep this in mind - The last two hours of light the fish will rise and hatches will happen, mostly below where Jamison Creek dumps in (Two Rivers).

Boondoggle - Our day on the river was one of the best guide trips I have ever had! I hope you can join me at Lake Davis in Oct. when the fall gorge happens.

Jon.

jbird
05-30-2012, 04:38 PM
VERY nice Jon! You just gave this forum a shot of adrenaline with this thread! Love it!!

Troutstalker55B
06-17-2012, 09:32 AM
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/moto55b/middlefork41_1_1.jpg

The upper river that was so good two weeks ago is entering its Summer mode already. Water temps are now running 62-66.7 degrees. Fish are now located right in the well oxygenated white water of riffles and heads of pools during the day. Royal Trudes #14 worked well for Rick and Dave on Friday. From here on out it will be all about the evening rise. Bring a head lamp and stay till you cannot see your fly anymore. Active bugs now are Golden Stone adults, Little Green Stone, Yellow Sallies, Green Drake duns and spinners, and Pale Evening Duns. The upper section of the MFFR will be done and choke full of algae in a few weeks until the Fall season.

Downstream of Two Rivers (where Jamison Creek enters) water temps are running 58-62 degrees and will fish well for the next month with a emphasis on the evenings. If you want to fish the MFFR you better hurry as conditions will be too warm before you know it.

Jon.

jayclarkflyfishing
06-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Jon
I concur with your assessment. Water temp hit 68 last night and the upper river will be done shortly. The evening rise in Graeagle was very good. Yellow sallies and comparaduns got the most love. Get it while you can! And bring the bug spray...I forgot and was eaten pretty good by mosquitos.

Jay