PDA

View Full Version : Silver King Creek

Frank Roepke
05-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Has anyone fished this area? Also Wolf creek is close by. Seems like there is a road before Heean lake you can take out to Silver king.

Thanks,

Frank

Fly Guy Dave
05-26-2012, 01:32 PM
I've fished it a few times. The road you see on the map was used by ranchers when they ran cattle in the area, which I'm pretty sure they no longer do. The only way into SK now is to HIKE.

davkrat
06-02-2012, 06:34 AM
If you walk in make sure you know what sections are open. Lots of closed waters back in that area for the Paiute Cutts.

Kneedeep
06-02-2012, 08:51 AM
I believe Silver is closed;
http://www.nativetroutflyfishing.com/paiutecutthroat.htm

Might want to check with local agencies to avoid any nasty surprises........

Fly Guy Dave
06-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Davkrat is correct. Lots of it is indeed closed for angling to protect the Paiute Cutt, but there are sections that are indeed open to angling. The trick is knowing what parts ARE open. A GPS is helpful in that regard. The EF of the Carson is also closed above the falls to protect the Lahontan Cutt, so a careful study of the DFG regs in order if one plans to fish the area.

Gary, the owner of the website Kneedeep linked to, is a very knowledgeable guy, a fisheries biologist I believe, and he certainly knows his stuff when it comes to native trout like the Paiute and the Lahontan cutts.

Woodman
06-02-2012, 09:23 PM
haven't been up there for years and years, but it is some beautiful country. Definitely worth figuring out what's open and hiking in.

Had the privilege of going on some TU work trips back in the Leo Cronin days. Even caught a few Paiutes on a fly.

I'm going to have to check it out again...

k9mark
06-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Here ya go, this will help you out.

http://www.ecoangler.com/habitat/Silver_King_Creek.html

chemdoc
06-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Silver King is open to fishing below the confluence of Tamarack Creek, which is about 3 miles below Llewelyn Falls.

Phil

jburge
06-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Silver King is open to fishing below the confluence of Tamarack Creek, which is about 3 miles below Llewelyn Falls.

Phil

And to add to chemdoc,

...open to fishing below the confluence of Tamarack Creek downstream to the confluence of Snodgrass Creek. And BTW the regs aren't super clear, but no fishing on tributaries like Coyote Creek and Corral Creek.

Headed up there in a couple of weeks...