PDA

View Full Version : South Lake Tahoe

Rich Morrison
05-25-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm going to be in South Lake Tahoe 8-10 June and will have some free time. It's been years since I fished that area. Can anyone pass along any places I can go? I won't have a boat or float tube. Not looking to steal a secret spot or anything, I would just like to know where I can get on the water for trout. Hikes are not a problem and seclusion would be nice. Cathcing fish is secondary. My travel rods are all in the 4-6wt range. Easy, right? PM me if you have info you are willing to share.
Rich

Rich Morrison
05-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Just saw the thread on this exact subject in the trout forum. Looks like the Carson is about the only game. Any tips for that area or any other spots would be appreciated.
Rich

ganderlander2
05-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Wish I could help...have yet to fish in that area. If you have the time to head a little south, I have been hearing great reports coming out of the east walker. Good luck, Jason

Ralph
05-25-2012, 05:35 PM
You might try Spooner Lake. A canoe or tube is nice, but it is easily fishable from shore (this time of year before the weeds get thick). If you are camping consider spending a night there. Can you spell TIGER trout?

Scott V
05-25-2012, 07:18 PM
I agree with Ralph, Spooner for sure and if you have time Indian Creek Reservoir.

Woodman
05-25-2012, 07:49 PM
It's a bit of a drive from SLT, but the headwaters of the Upper Truckee is a nice hike to fish small water for native Lahontans. I'm sure there are some threads on the BB.

JAWallace
05-25-2012, 07:56 PM
If you want to do a pay to fish, Sawmill Lake near Truckee. It's not expensive and has been fishing killer recently. I think the owner/agent can provide you with a tube--you'll need one to make it worthwhile. Donaldson trout, can be technical, and if they're on a 15-20 fish day to 24" isn't uncommon.

windknot
06-02-2012, 08:25 PM
I'd head up into the Desolation Wilderness if I had a few days free in South Lake next weekend. Starting at either the Eagle Falls, Meeks Creek, Glen Alpine, or Wrights Lake trailhead will get you into good fishing without too many miles. Let me know what you're more interested (i.e. bigger fish but slower action, or smaller fish but faster action) and I can throw up some lakes to target.

EricO
06-03-2012, 11:05 AM
It's a bit of a drive from SLT, but the headwaters of the Upper Truckee is a nice hike to fish small water for native Lahontans. I'm sure there are some threads on the BB.

The Upper Truckee doesn't open until July 1st. My buddy found that out the hard way
by mr DFG a few years ago.

EO

nvpescador
06-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Give Victor or one of the crew a call at Tahoe Flyfishing Outfitters. They're in South Lake and will give you some good info on which local spots are fishing well.

http://www.tahoeflyfishing.com/index.php

dickwhite
06-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Remember that all the tribs into Tahoe don't open until July 1st.

The East and West Carson are close and getting better daily.
Spooner is in great shape. Don't wade, there are leeches in the lake.
Indian Creek Res. has been slow & best fished from a boat or tube.
Red Lake - Best fly fishing from a tube or boat.

A little hiking will put you into small wild fish in Desolation or Carson Iceberg Wilderness. Desolation try the Glen Alpen tr. to Heather and Suzy. CIB - Wolf Creek Tie on an ant.

tight lines

Dick White
Tahoma Meadows B&B

Rich Morrison
06-15-2012, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the point outs. I'll have to check out some of the more remote spots next time. Turns out the house we were in for this gig backed right onto Trout Creek - which was of course closed. I did throw my waders on and walk it for 3/4 of a mile and look for fish - saw a few decent fish and picked up a lot of trash so still a useful jaunt. I did fish the East Carson area with limited success. But I was the only anlger on all the water I fished and the weather and location were just outstanding.