PDA

View Full Version : Two Sacramento veteran fly fishers.........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-25-2012, 06:57 AM
Chuck Campana and Steve Chappell are seen here fishing together many years ago in FL.

These two guys are some of the best fly fishers I know and are still fishing in their 70s.

They are both part of the group of the founding members of the "California Fly Fishers Unlimited" in Sacramento.

Chuck stayed here in Sacramento working for CA Dept of Boating & Waterways and after retirement at Kiene's Fly Shop.

Steve left for a life in Florida, first at Cape Canaveral and then working as a building contractor living on Marathon Key.

Steve and his friend and guide Nat Ragland won the prestigious "Gold Cup" in 1988 landing more tarpon on a fly rod in one day than any other two person team.

http://www.goldcuptt.com/past_win.htm

These guys have fished a lot of great places in their lifetimes and are still at it.

I fly fished a lot but never put myself anywhere near their level of ability and knowledge of our fine sport.

(since I posted this Steve has passed away)

Scott V
05-25-2012, 07:27 AM
Love the hat!

Darian
05-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Good stuff, Bill....

Wining that tournament and having your name engraved on that trophy along with all those other great fly fisherman is really an honor.

I see Chuck is still on call at the shop on occasion.... :D

Charlie Gonzales
05-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Whats on his hand in the picture?

BillB
05-26-2012, 07:08 PM
I blew it up out of curiosity Charlie and it seems to be his fore arm. The pic makes it look like he could be holding something.