PDA

View Full Version : Baja Report

Jay Murakoshi
05-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Well, if we had a hot bite going, I'd be posting every day but, like last week, the bait is almost non-existent and we are improvising. This week is my first time I've ever had to resort to trolling teasers, throwing top water plugs, and trolling bait fish to entice these fish to eat. I guess you do what you have to do to put a fish on the end of the line. Only my second time in two decades that we've had conditions like this.
Here's the latest from the past couple days:
No fish the first part of the week. We did find some bait on Tuesday but only a hand full. A big difference between bait and no bait. The roosters were excited to see the bait but the dorado still won't eat.
We did have two wahoo at the beach but they went so fast one guy couldn't even get a cast off. Yesterday, we netted a bunch on Lisa's right on the beach, actually throwing the net from the beach
We trolled them along the lighthouse and the roosters smashed them but wouldn't take the fly. I was dragging them behind and when I yelled rooster, it was time to cast and I mean a fast cast or you missed
the chance. There was also a school of jacks swimming right at the lighthouse but no eaters. I bet if we had the sardina's, there would of been some hook ups. I think the bait will start showing by this weekend and then the bite should take off, I hope
There are a lot of people wondering what the hell happened to the fish Maybe with no wind, the water temperature changed and the sardina'a went deep, who knows. But yesterday it was a heavy southeast wind with 6' swells. We were headed out to the buoys but had to turn around, Too damn rough

that's it for now until todays report.
Today's report: One boat picked up a rooster in the La Ventana area 7 kilo's throwing ballyhoo, others went towards Muertos Bay to look for bait and found some Lisa's, no sardine's. Lady fish were willing to eat the fly.
A friend of mine who I use to fish with on the Smith River came by the La Concha (surprised me) to see me. His daughter lives out in La Ventana and runs a wind surfing operation.
He said this morning he caught a decent size rooster off the beach and said there were a lot more busing the surface. He didn't know what they were chasing, he's not familiar with what swims out there.

That's it for now, looks like it could start picking up. If I hear more reports, I'll post them

Jay
Jay

Darian
05-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Jay,.... Are the water temps cool (green water)?? This almost sounds like it was in Mulege a few years ago. :-|

Jay Murakoshi
05-25-2012, 06:21 AM
I'm assuming there are a some cool waters out there because at the north end of the island there are some yellow tail still hanging around.
And now another wrench throw into the wheel - the hurricane of the coast of Mexico. It won't reach here but the after effects will probably show up, like rolling swells. I haven't looked at the hurricane forecast today. This is way early for hurricanes but only mother nature has control

Jay

vernonp
05-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Exactly when does that Mayan calender end?

Darian
05-25-2012, 10:20 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: