PDA

View Full Version : Two Way Radio Recommendations?

RaffiB
05-24-2012, 07:48 AM
I have had a pair of Motorola Talkabout two way radios for a few years now and after many dunks in the rivers, they are on their last leg and it is time to get some new pair.

I am resigned to the fact that no matter what the products say, the farthest range in mountain fishing conditions is less than a mile (if lucky).

While I was looking at some of the new Motorola models, I also came across some other brands that made me start looking around. Many of these brands now offer fully water proof and submersable radios.

I am hoping to see if anyone has any experience/thoughts with these brands/models or any other recommendations

Uniden GMR 3689 or 5099 -
Motorola MS355
Midland GXT 4000/1050
Midland GXT 5000

Thanks in advance
Rafdwag_34

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-24-2012, 08:06 AM
I would go for WP myself..............

Scott V
05-24-2012, 10:38 AM
I have the yellow Uniden GMRS and love them. I believe mine are the 3689, I will check when I get home. Just remember that any foresty type area will cut down on the distance the signal will travel. But I have held mine underwater and they still work great.

Loren E
05-24-2012, 08:25 PM
i think I have the same ones as Scott...Uniden with quoted 36 mile distance (not a reality of course) and waterproof. Very cool radios with one flaw I haven't figured out...it is so easy to hit buttons while they are in your waders/pack/vest and then change the channel or put them on mute. I think there is a lock button but it doesn't seem to do anything?

Scott V
05-25-2012, 07:28 AM
Loren, I believe you have to hold the lock button down for a couple of seconds before it activates. It works on mine.

RaffiB
05-26-2012, 08:27 AM
I am gonna go for the Uniden's...I like the waterproof feature

Scott V
05-26-2012, 08:08 PM
I am gonna go for the Uniden's...I like the waterproof feature

Good choice, and not only is it waterproof, they are submersible.