PDA

View Full Version : Bootie Suggestion for Force Fins

nvpescador
05-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Picked up a used pair of non-adjustable Force Fins today in an XL thinking that a Glacier Glover bootie would fit the fins when worn over the neoprene wader feet/bootie. Wrong, XL fin isn't wide enough for the Glacier Glove over the neo wader foot, too thick.

I'm looking for suggestions for a thinner neo bootie that might work. I could use the wader foot alone with the fins but don't want to walk from parking to lake in the wader foot and I think the repetitive motion of kicking would eventually wear on the wader bootie.

Thanks -

Fly Guy Dave
05-23-2012, 08:01 PM
I used to wear either O'Neill or Rip Curl neoprene booties (with the sole on the bottom) back in my surfing days, but I think you might run into the same problem if they are the same thickness as the Glacier Glove booties. However, you might try a pair of aqua socks (with the sole), which are a lot thinner than neoprene and should work just fine. I have a pair of Body Glove aqua socks that I use with my waders when I haul my float tube into the back country to fish still waters.

Mike O
05-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Wear your waders with a pair of tennies down to the water. Take off tennies, put on fins. Those fins are made to be worn with either bare feet or neoprene booties with no sole. Used them a lot growing up boogie boarding. The fins will protect your feet if you walk on the balls of your feet the last couple steps before taking off in your bellyboat

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-24-2012, 08:24 AM
At Kiene's Fly Shop we now only carry the adjustable Force Fins because they are now the same price as the fixed sizes......$199.99....same as Cabelas

Some years ago when the fixed sizes were less than the adjustables we would tell people to get on their socks, waders and booties before trying on the fixed sizes of Force Fins......$229

Sizes: sml, med, med/lrg, xlg, xxlg, xxxlrg

__________________________________________________ ____________________

I think you won't find anything thin enough that has any puncture protection with the size you have.

I would just put something light on with a sole to walk to the water then remove them and put on your fixed size Force Fins.

PS: Remember that Force Fins don't float so think about some fin tethers.

PS2: We sell the Glacier Glove float tubing booties for $35.00

Mike O
05-24-2012, 10:52 AM
+1 to the fin tethers...shoestrings or paracord works

betty
05-24-2012, 02:29 PM
What happened to you is exactly what happened to me. Here's how I solved it.
Take yourself down to K-Mart or Ourdoor world and buy a pair of black water socks (I guess that's what they call them---they have a slightly stiffish rubber sole with a slightly stretchy material upper). Make sure you buy a pair big enough to go over your waders. these are not nearly as bulky as Glacier Glove Booties. These allow my foot to mostly (not totally) fit into my XL size pair of fins-- I have pretty wide feet. works just fine. The heel strap of fins holds my foot in. I have other friends who have done the same thing.

Hope this helps. BTW, I also wouldn't be without fin keepers---not as part of solution to problem above, but just in general. many a time fin keeper straps have saved my fins when gooey mud involved.

Betty

nvpescador
05-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the ideas- I'll check out the WalMart idea. Probably keep my eye out for some used adjustable FFins also. The new in box price is way too much...

pmh
05-27-2012, 06:38 PM
I had the exact same problem. I found very thin "water slippers" for lack of a better term, at K-mart..thin sole, mesh top, slipper design with heel,,$12.99

Just used them this weekend and they worked perfect easy to slip on, so thin that the flippers fit perfect.

I also have several pairs of neoprene booties size 10 and 11 for sale,,,,cheap

Paul