PDA

View Full Version : Mt Shasta Area Info

BumpBailey
05-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Happy Trout season everyone... My buddy and i are heading up to Mt. Shasta to do some fishing. 2nd weekend in June. We are planning on fishing the Upper Sac and the Mc Cloud and then circle back and fish one or the other again. I tried to get us into the conservancy but they are booked at that time. How early, on a Monday, would we need to be there in order to secure two ore spots? Is it worth it or should we concentrate our efforts on this river elsewhere?

Also, I keep reading about studded boots and a wading staff. How necessary are these two. I am 47 and not the risk taker I once was. But I am athletic, I still play soccer once a week sometimes 2x. Are felt boot and a sturdy branch sufficient?

Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

KJE
05-23-2012, 10:57 AM
On a Monday, you can likely feel pretty secure in getting a pass at the Conservancy. The entire river is quite nice, but the Conservancy's attraction, for me at least, is that it is foot access only and has an excellent network of paths.

You can screw some studs into your boots quite easily, and the necessity of a staff depends on how aggressively you wade. The McCloud, especially the Conservancy portion, has some very accessible pools that don't require heavy wading. The pocket water, on the other hand, can be pretty rough. If you're high sticking pockets, I'd bring a staff or branch that is attached to your belt.

Enjoy - it is a great river.