PDA

View Full Version : Upper Sac

neonymph
05-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Anyone been to the Upper Sac this year? How is it? Thinking of going 6/3-5. Or, the Trinity.

Craig Nielsen
05-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Neo:
Fished it Saturday and have been on it a day or two for a few weeks now. Water is still high from the Dam to Delta but is clear and fishable. Flows have been dropping steadily but slowed a bit in the last few days.

Hatches have been sparse, with a few spring drakes and stoneflies showing along with some caddis and small mayflies. Our main hatches have yet to arrive in force.

The good news is that fish are looking up, I have enjoyed fishing dry dropper rigs with good success including some nice fish eating the dry. Feel free to drop a line for more details, hopefully your timing will include lower flows and hatches in full swing!

BumpBailey
05-23-2012, 07:54 AM
You might want to check the flows on the Trinity. Supposed to be high through the end of June. I think up in the 2000CFS range. Good luck.

KJE
05-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Fished it this past weekend and found some fishable edges to work with. The big difference is that at normal flows it feels like every square foot of the upper river is fishable, whereas in high flows there may be a seam here and a pool there, but there's a bit of walking in between.

Craig is right about them looking up - I caught a nice rainbow on a big stimulator and some others with a dry-dropper rig.

neonymph
05-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Thanks guys. Seems a bit early. I'll keep checking on the flows.