PDA

View Full Version : Truckee river shuttle service?

JasonB
05-21-2012, 06:23 PM
So my wife and I were looking into trying to do a little float and fish on the Truckee while the flows are still up a bit. We don't want to have to drive two cars to set up the shuttle, and I figure there must be someone in the Truckee area who we could pay to shuttle a car or a driver. Anyone have any recommendations?
PM is fine as I know sometimes folks don't want to advertise that kind of info all over the place.
Thanks,
JB

dickwhite
05-24-2012, 07:55 PM
I haven't heard of an official shuttle service in the area lately. There used to be one.

Call Mtn Hardware or Andy Burk at his shop. A taxi service might be your only bet. Spendy but cheaper than driving 2 cars.

I used to guide the lower section as a white water guide. So here is my 2 cents on the Lower Truckee. Be prepared for rocky technical class II-III rapids below Boca. Bronco and Jaws down near Floriston have eaten their share of boats and experienced guides. And be sure to wear your pfd.

Dick White
Tahoma Meadows B&B

JasonB
05-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks Dick,
We tried to float the other day and struck out on a shuttle driver, AND discovered that we had some major vehicle problems on top of that. Lucky for us the fishing was pretty good from shore...

As for the technical whitewater, that part would be fine; my wife and I are both pretty seasoned class 5 boaters. Having scouted out the last bit of river just about Floriston, I can see why inexperienced folks could have some trouble.

We'll probably give it another go as soon as we get our car fixed, hopefully this time we can round up a shuttle.