PDA

View Full Version : Posion Oak

koffler
05-21-2012, 12:32 PM
I was fishing some small creeks on the 50 corridor and now have an epic case of poison oak. I found a new product (to me) named Zanfel that is working better than anything over the counter that I've ever tried. I get PO easily and have tried my fair share of products - anyways thought I'd pass this along since this dreaded plant is plentiful in the area.

P.S The fishing was good using small attractor dries for fish in the 6" - 10" range.

Jason

Ned Morris
05-21-2012, 12:53 PM
How's it stack up against Tecnu?

koffler
05-21-2012, 01:17 PM
From my understanding Technu should be used when you have known contact w/ the plant and it's hasn't bonded to the skin. Once the oils are 'activated' in the dermis Technu has no value. Zanfel is supposed to remove the urushiol oil once it's embedded within the dermis. Basically once you have PO (blisters, itching, etc) it looks as though Zanfel is the only product that works as described (within the dermis). There are a lot of other approaches but none have worked for me (rubbing alcohol, chlorine, lye based soaps, vinegar, etc.).

aaron
05-21-2012, 02:08 PM
I've got some frankincense and myrrh that works great too that I'd be happy to sell you :-)

EricO
05-21-2012, 02:31 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott V
05-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Stop fishing in the nude and you don't have to worry about it. Duuhhhh!

BillB
05-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Don't laugh, Frankincense is supposed to be an anti inflammatory! I personally like to treat my inflammations with a good ale!

jbird
05-21-2012, 07:38 PM
You are correct about technu. It needs to be used as soon as possible after contact. So does this Zanfel accellerate the infection/healing cycle? Poison oak is typically about a 2 week ordeal of swelling, itching, drying, scabbing. There are some prescription creams that essentially make this process elapse in only 3-4 days. Is that what Zanfel does?

aaron
05-21-2012, 07:47 PM
A lot of it depends on the person. Technu and Zanfel can work, for some people, in certain time frames. Once the oil has started to react with your skin it's all pretty much moot and up to your body to deal for the most part. Some are more lucky than others, for me prednisone unfortunately is the only thing that works. Nice to have a full arsenal but that can get expensive and results are highly variable.

Kneedeep
05-21-2012, 08:14 PM
At 63 and being life-long allergic enough to get the infection from even a picture of any plant containing urushoil, I know of only one "guaranteed" method of quiclky getting rid of the itching, burning, blistered stage and it ain't no picnic; told to me by a druggist in Lexington, Ky. when I contracted it there.
**** NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART****
Get yourself a little embalming fluid. Yes.. "EMBALMING FLUID".
A funeral parlor may give you a couple of ounces..that's where I got mine.
Take a hot shower or apply a hot compress to the affected area.
Scratch the blisters open (OOHHH, IT FEELS SO GOOD) then take a Q-Tip and dab the infected area with the embalming fluid.........
Not bad at first, but after a couple of seconds.....Jesus Screaming Christ!
Feels like someone held a blow torch to the skin.
I mean it BURNS LIKE HELL. :shock:
It works because it completely burns off the infected epidermis!

Formaldehyde is the key ingredient in embalming fluid, so it will work the same if you can't score the "embalming fluid".

Obviously, I would give serious thought on which locales I would apply this.:D

Ed Wahl
05-21-2012, 09:29 PM
I've got my own 2 cents to throw in on this one. I'm probably just 'normally' allergic to poison oak, meaning I get the itchy rash and scabs that last about 2 weeks.
Well, I hunt quail in poison oak country all the time and I used to get it bad and in some pretty personal spots on a regular basis. This changed when I adopted the rule of 'anytime your around water rinse off all exposed skin'. It works like a charm. Possibly the cold water floats the oil off, or it just dissapates in water, whatever, this system has worked for me and my hunting partner for 20 years now. The other rule is don't relieve yourself until you've rinsed your hands in water. That has worked 100% of the time also.

So you bushwack and slide your way down to the water, take a minute and rinse off all exposed skin. Then fish.
You lose the trail back up the canyon(:o) or just decide to cut straight up and cut time. The very first water you come to when your out you stop and wash.
You finish up at dark and walk the stream back to camp, stop and wash. Every time.
The wonder chemicals for sale to help are nothing compared to just maintaining the rinse throughout the day.

It sounds too easy but I urge everone to just give it a try.

That may be my only worthwhile contribution to humanity.

You're welcome.

Ed

cdccopp
05-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Heres my 2 cents. I work with inmate firefighters through out the whole state. I have seen many cases of poison oak in many varies states from day one all the way through the end. Zanfel works the best but is very expensive. $35.00 + a tube. I recommend to the fellas to cover exposed areas with sun block before going out on the fire line or anywhere there is oak. This creates a barrier to the oak oils. You need to wash as soon as possible with cool water to get the oak oil off. Technu works if used soon after contact or when it is possible to wash in cool water. Dont forget about the oak oil on your clothes and handle them with care. All this preventive pre contact only works if you follow up with the wash. When you do get the rash keep washing with the Technu in cool water often and watch where you put your hands after scratching. I have seen many cases extended to the groin area, face and other areas that didnt come in direct contact with the oak. For extreme outbreaks the prednisone shot speeds up the rash and shortens the total time of rash. Watch out for the shot as some people's liver maybe effected.
Dennis

jbird
05-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Great thread. As a lifelong poison oak sufferer its great to hear some of these ideas! I have had excellent results using technu. I cover myself entirely with a film of the stuff and then rinse it off in a cool shower to keep the pores closed. I actually have not had a serious case in over 15 years since Ive diligently used the stuff. A couple minor cases when I was unaware I got into some.

The most amazing poison oak "abortion" product Ive ever seen is called Ultravate. It is a prescription, steroid cream that makes the rash a distant memory in 3-4 days!

I recall getting my Ultravate at the Pharmacy. It was a tube the size of a small toothpaste. The pharmacist rings me up and says $15. I asked why my insurance didnt cover it? She said, $15 is your co-pay. Its $98 without!

PS Some of the worst cases Ive ever had was from being in contact with a dog that had gotten into it.

YEM
05-22-2012, 08:25 AM
I'm very allergic to poison oak and the best treatment I know is an injection of prednisone from my dermatologist. You can't do this all the time and obviously it requires a prescription, but it worked well for me the last time I got a serious case of poison oak.

EricO
05-22-2012, 08:25 AM
I have also been getting poison oak since i was a kid. Some really bad cases that I remember...ugh!

Heck I recall the only thing available back then was calamine lotion. Didn't do jack!

I've been using Ivy Block with success. Haven't had a case (knock on wood) in two years.
Think I got it at walgreens..it basically put a barrier between the oil and skin like mentioned above with sunscreen. I wouldn't doubt if it actually IS sunscreen marketed as Ivy Block.

But my son has a presecription steroid cream (Fluocinonide) that he uses for athletes foot. So if I do get it again, I'll be ready!

Man poison oak is such an EVIL WEED!

Eric

Ralph
05-22-2012, 08:56 AM
The active ingredient in Technu is deodorized mineral spirits. Mix a small bit of dish soap in a bottle of mineral spirits and wash with cool water. Mineral spirits can be bought by the gallon at hardware stores for a fraction of the cost of Technu.

Use it without soap to wipe down tool handles, or whatever that may have been in contact with p.o.

Bob Loblaw
05-22-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm either really lucky, really careful or not allergic. I grew up in Ireland where we don't have much in the way of nasty plants or bugs so when I first moved here it was a bit of an eye opener. I spent a couple of summers working a Scout camp in the woods of northern New Hampshire and discovered that I'm allergic to poison sumac. Got some really nasy blisters from that stuff.

Here in CA I've been an avid hiker, a trail runner, camper, and fisherman. I've bushwacked through more than my share of poison oak and so far I've never had a reaction....that means next time out I'm screwed of course.

I used to use Tecnu after running Dipsea but after forgetting to bring it a few times I realized I didn't need it and that trail can be PO hell in the spring.

koffler
05-22-2012, 03:25 PM
My last update on Zanfel - it's not a be all end all cure but for me it has helped dry out the PO much quicker which is accelerating the healing process. Even more importantly it does a nice job of minimizing the itching sensation. After a few days of little sleep I took a generic antihistamine and used the Zanfel - slept like a baby.

If anyone comes up with some voodoo potion to combat this stuff I'll be all ears.

Jason

jersey
05-24-2012, 09:22 PM
I grew up in south Jersey and we had poison ivy, which is more mild than the oak. However, a plant which was always around the immediate area was a natural "antidote". We called it Jewel weed, as the leaves shimmered silver when held underwater.

After running around the woods, we grabbed a bunch and scrubbed all of our exposed skin. It worked like a champ.

If a similar plant exists here, no one is talking...

fishngy
05-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Any tips for dealing with the dog running through the poison oak and bring it home for family members to share? Does a good bath work? I would be in big trouble if the dog gave my wife poison oak rash! Bill

Ed Wahl
05-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Bill, yes a bath will work. For added insurance get the dog completly into the creek, or whatever you have handy before you leave. The oil will float up off of it's coat.Do this before you let him sit on the seat in the car.
You can follow up with a bath once you get him home but so far the dunking has always worked for me.

If the dog has it on him, you probably have it on your clothes and boots. You, or worse, much worse, your wife can pick it up off your clothes when doing the laundry. I keep my infected duds separate from the other clothes and usually wash them immediatly.
You only make that mistake once.

Ed

oldtrout
05-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Every few years I get an unusually severe case and I opt for prednisone. If it's a mild-moderate case I now use Zanfel.

Dr. Weil suggests:
"The best treatment for poison oak is to run hot water on the affected areas, as hot as you can stand. This will seem counterintuitive, since heat increases the itching and cold soothes it. Under hot water the itching will briefly become very intense and then will stop for several hours, as if the nerves responsible for conveying the sensation to the brain become overloaded and quit. As soon as the itching starts again, go back to the hot water. If you do this conscientiously the whole reaction will complete itself quickly and your skin will return to normal much faster than it would otherwise."

Darian
05-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Good lord!!!! That treatment sounds more like sadism than helping.... :-s

jbird
05-30-2012, 05:26 AM
Every few years I get an unusually severe case and I opt for prednisone. If it's a mild-moderate case I now use Zanfel.

Dr. Weil suggests:
"The best treatment for poison oak is to run hot water on the affected areas, as hot as you can stand. This will seem counterintuitive, since heat increases the itching and cold soothes it. Under hot water the itching will briefly become very intense and then will stop for several hours, as if the nerves responsible for conveying the sensation to the brain become overloaded and quit. As soon as the itching starts again, go back to the hot water. If you do this conscientiously the whole reaction will complete itself quickly and your skin will return to normal much faster than it would otherwise."

LOL! Ive always done this and thought it was just a guilty pleasure. There are few delights in this life greater than scalding a poison oak rash with super hot water. Its almost as good as...well, you know.

EricO
05-30-2012, 07:33 AM
Could not agree more jbird....it is wonderful.

oldtrout
05-31-2012, 01:03 AM
LOL! Ive always done this and thought it was just a guilty pleasure. There are few delights in this life greater than scalding a poison oak rash with super hot water. Its almost as good as...well, you know.

Ha! I have an affection for stinging nettles...

YEM
05-31-2012, 10:50 AM
nasty weed but it sure is pretty

Jed Peters
06-04-2012, 01:16 PM

Oh my god. I got p oak last night on my nether regions....so far I've taken 3 showers today (as of 1:00) and I will be taking them ever couple hours from here on out.

Yes, it's seriously one of the greatest feelings ever...scalding hot water on oak? Love it.

aaron
06-04-2012, 01:24 PM
It does feel amazing but my doc told me to avoid it as even though it feels good in the short term, in the long run it can just cause the inflammation to stay longer. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Jed Peters
06-04-2012, 01:31 PM
It does feel amazing but my doc told me to avoid it as even though it feels good in the short term, in the long run it can just cause the inflammation to stay longer. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Your doc can bite me. (left the door open on that one)

Mike O
06-04-2012, 02:55 PM
I guess the moral of the story is only pee in the clearings, away from all plant life?

Or mid-river, upstream of the line of FFisherman at the Powerhouse Riffle?

JasonB
06-04-2012, 07:33 PM
I guess the moral of the story is only pee in the clearings, away from all plant life?

Or mid-river, upstream of the line of FFisherman at the Powerhouse Riffle?

Yeah... that and don't pet your dog before you pee...

Jed Peters
06-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Yeah... that and don't pet your dog before you pee...

That's probably how I got it. shit.

Anyhow, just got a cortisone shot. Let's see how this plays out.

EricO
06-05-2012, 04:56 PM
You should be golden with the cortisone shot Jed.

My buddy got poison oak real bad and it was creeping up his leg. That was enough
for him getting that close!

After the cortisone shot....within two days it was all dried up.

I have a prednisone steroid cream...will give that a go "when" I get it next.

EO

aaron
06-05-2012, 05:07 PM
unless it's not poison oak making his crotch burn...;) sorry bud, couldn't resist.

lynnwhite44
06-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Speaking of crotch itch but slightly off topic. Does anyone else get annoying jock itch or rashes from wet wading or hiking in steamy waders? I've had some serious cases in the past, the worst of which was on a backpacking trip in yosemite. By the time I made it to my truck and the end of the trip I was walking bow-legged and had open sores on my crotch. I tried everything from jock itch remedies to A & D diaper rash medication.

Not sure how I came up with the Idea but I discovered a miracle cure for crotch rot that has never failed me. Monistat yeast infection medication. It comes in a little blue tube in the womens section of the store. I apply the meds at night and by morning the rash is gone.

This medicine is always with me when I go fishing.

Hope this helps some other crotch rot sufferers.

DFrink
06-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Well this is certainly going in a wierd direction, but since we're already heading that way... When hiking or backpacking if you start to get a rash, just through some baby powder down there, works every time for me. This is preventative, won't work a lot once you're already walking bow legged.

Dan

aaron
06-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Compression shorts

DFrink
06-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Aaron, you're right on. I where them when hiking, hunting, and on Search and Rescue call outs / training and they work wonders. I like the Under Armor boxer briefs and the heat gear t's as an undershirt. They pull moisture away from your body and keep you very cool.