PDA

View Full Version : La Paz- Day 6 report

FISHEYE
05-18-2012, 03:50 PM
I think we are mostly happier today. No bait and we did not even try. We out in the channel all the way to the north end of the island looking for sargasso and dorado. My partner, Vernon, and I found plenty but conflicting winds and big waves made standing up or casting tough. So we trolled and when we found fish and got them close to the boat we did some casting. It layed down pretty good too, so things got better. We ended up with 20 small (3-5#) dorado. Had maybe 6 doubles and also lost a lot of fish. Two other of our boats came and and caught some too. Then it was back to the lighthouse to hunt mullet. They were in deeper water and we only got one so I said to Efren lets go with what we had. We trolled it behind the boat and had about 15 roosters come up- almost all singles with a few doubles. All were pretty much focused on the mullet and not our flies. We had some of the fish try to follow the mullet back into the boat- like they were within 5 feet. Most were in the 20-30 # range but we saw one that might have gone 40. No roosters. Also saw some amberjacks come up- a couple that were maybe 50. Vernon hooked a big one and it took off and broke his line. The mullet had just a little life left when the final rooster swept in and inhaled it. Game over! I am already thinking of next year.