PDA

View Full Version : Loving the Topwater

TPO
05-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Hi folks, I'm new to the Forum, this is my first post although I've been following the site for awhile. I'm really enjoying all the posts about topwater fishing for bass recently. I've been out on the Delta twice this month in my float tube and inflatable kayak and had some decent action. This past weekend I had some success pulling flies across the heavy cover in late afternoon (picture below). I had about a dozen hits in a few hours of fishing, hooked five and landed three. Also have a sample of the catch, nothing very big but I had a blast with the explosions through the slop. This particular fish hit a fly that made no noticeable disturbance when I retrieved it, it just hopped along on top of the grass and I didn't think any fish would notice; wrong, this guy nailed it. I love tying, especially deer hair work, the fly is one of my rabbit strip divers. Looking forward to getting back out there soon!

Tom

GreggH
05-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Solid first post!! Nyzzz pitchers, nyzzz content. Keep'm coming TPO. *Show us those top water creatures your fling'n.

Spicytuna1
05-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Nice TPO glad your getting out and finding fish. Those red matts can be a little bit of magic especially on a hot day. Good work, a good patter for the that is KDM rat That makes a good imprint and rides hook up.

Like Gregg said keep it coming

BillB
05-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Nice TPO and welcome. A fun thing to do is toss a bug into brush or weeds suspended just above the water and juggle for a few seconds. Then ease your bug into the water and brace yourself. I also like to cast beyond submerged boulders or other structure and work the bug very fast. When you get right over the object abruptly stop your bug. They can't stand it!

TPO
05-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks guys for the comments/advice. I posted a few pictures of my ties on the "Fly Tying" forum here if you want to take a look. I've had some luck with all those flies, although the deer hair poppers and divers are the patterns I use the most. I have tied a few KDM rats but haven't really used them that much. Maybe ought to dust them off for next time I fish those mats.

Tom