PDA

View Full Version : What am I getting myself into??

Mike O
05-17-2012, 09:16 PM
I have taken the National FlyFishing in the Schools training. I have the curriculum, the equipment, the location, the students, and 17 years experience teaching History...

WHY DO I FEEL SUCH TREPIDATION ABOUT TEACHING A HIGH SCHOOL CLASS HOW TO FLYFISH FOR THE NEXT WEEK??

It will go well, right? Tell me it will go well!!!!

Any tips gratefully accepted.

Darian
05-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Relax and enjoy the ride. Your fishing and teaching experience shows you're more than qualified to do this. =D>

Remember that nobody in you audience wants you to fail. I'm envious!!!! :wink:

catch&release
05-17-2012, 11:42 PM
What a great oppertunity to show these kids a whole new perspective on fishing.

This could change some of these kids lives forever. Your doing a great service!

Enjoy and take it all in.

wineslob
05-18-2012, 08:01 AM
I have taken the National FlyFishing in the Schools training. I have the curriculum, the equipment, the location, the students, and 17 years experience teaching History...

WHY DO I FEEL SUCH TREPIDATION ABOUT TEACHING A HIGH SCHOOL CLASS HOW TO FLYFISH FOR THE NEXT WEEK??

It will go well, right? Tell me it will go well!!!!

Any tips gratefully accepted.

Confiscate all phones........

BobVP
05-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Wish I had remembered to have my daughter wear sunglasses when teaching her to cast...No, nothing tragic happened! But it COULD have been traumatic.

I did find out that music helped. Something with a slow "1 and 2 and 1 and 2" rhythm. Just off in the background.

I admire you for staying with teaching all these years. I survived one year teaching high school....Just not my cup-o-tea I guess.

Mike O
05-18-2012, 12:11 PM
I admire you for staying with teaching all these years. I survived one year teaching high school....Just not my cup-o-tea I guess.

I do it for the money....sorry, couldn't resist

Thanks for the idea about music

BillB
05-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Hey Mike. I was, guess I still am to a very limited degree (consulting), in the business for 40 years. You can still feel your heart pump when you first intro invertebrates (Trout in the Classroom). Even to a class of 4th graders! With the exception of a few high schoolers, who were there to make up some science credits, that age went better than the little ones. In the years I have been involved I had only one negative experience. No worries, you'll do fine!

Slice
05-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Mike,

That is so cool! If you can survive teaching history to high school students... well... you'll be ok.

I knew 'a guy' who strayed from the fold in high school and did some bad stuff. When he rediscovered fishing he traded the bad stuff for the persuit of fish and he turned into a pretty good dude. And I, sorry, he, owe's it to fishing.

Sure wish my school taught that!

As far as advice, you're the boss, be the boss. I like to be tough at first and then lighten up. I dont think it works the other way around.

You're doing a good thing man, post a follow up!