PDA

View Full Version : Navionics iPhone Charts--a STEAL

JAWallace
05-16-2012, 03:35 PM
I have an older Lowrance H20 GPS which is fine but it has no charts or contour lines. The Navionics chip is about $200.

I just downloaded the Navionics charts for the entire U.S. for the iPhone. You can select as large or small an area that you like and download that portion of the map. You can have as many maps as your memory chip will hold.

I downloaded the Sac/Stockton region, and I was totally blown away with the results. It has dozens of lakes, all with contour lines. The entire Delta, even the smallest sloughs are charted as well. You can overlay Google satellite image, a street map, or a terrain map. You can set routes, mark waypoints and hotspots, and it tells you the tides, current winds, sunrise and sunset.

The price?

$9.95

If there was ever a no brainer purchase, this is it!

royewest
05-17-2012, 10:55 AM
There's an Android version available, too: https://play.google.com/store/apps

Scott V
05-17-2012, 11:17 AM
not being a techy guy, does the mapping system work on the iphone if you do not have phone service? does the internal gps work without service?

JAWallace
05-19-2012, 10:53 PM
You can download the maps to the phone so you don't need service. I believe the GPS functions will work then too but I haven't tried it on the water.

I think it's worth $10 without any GPS because of all the lake and Delta contours that are so much easier to obtain (point and click) than the gov't freebies. You can also tick hotspots and plot routes offline.