PDA

View Full Version : Clearlake

jersey
05-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Friday evening I kicked off into Clearlake to give a it a shot...

On the way out, I could see fish eye-balling the Fish Cat, its different in Clearlake. Not much sub subsurface action, but as the sun dipped, some action came to the surface.

I tied on a new bug (thanks for the brassie advice guys) and bingo! Best fish on the top I've landed.

Then on the way back in, I was attacked by another one. Scared me right out of the seat. He hit my fin hard several times, so it deserved a pic.

It is different in Clearlake!

Scott V
05-16-2012, 07:52 AM
I love Clearlake, one of the best places for big bass. You probably kicked over a nest, that is when I have been attacked by bass. And yes it does scare you for a second or so, but then it makes me laugh.

Ed Wahl
05-16-2012, 08:58 PM
That's the reason we wear such safety devices as fins and booties. If a Clearlake bass ever tastes human flesh it will continue to eat fishermen until it's hunted down and shot.

"Death in the Tules" by Peter Hathaway Capstick.

Look it up. ;)

Ed

mike borba
05-16-2012, 10:41 PM
I live less than a half hour from the southern end of Clearlake. I've never fished it with a fly rod for two reasons. First the only watercraft I have available to use there is a pontoon boat. And second I live within a couple of minutes of a smaller community lake that can have decent bass fishing. I have pontooned the state park area and the Keys. I'm reluctant to do battle with the wind and 250 hp boats. Any words of encouragement, or advice? You can pm me if you want, but I doubt Clearlake will be beseiged with fly rodders any time soon. By the way, did you know that anthropologists discovered that the toothbrush was invented in Clearlake? They reasoned that if it had been invented anywhere else it would have been called the teethbrush. Mike Borba

DougM
05-17-2012, 11:18 AM
#1) DON'T go on a weekend #2) stay within 100 feet of shore #3) all flies MUST be as weedless as possible.

joshfish
05-17-2012, 12:26 PM
there is a group called bass n tubes. they hold bass tournaments and its all from kickboats, pontoons and kyacks. they are gears guys but they hold an annual tournament in clearlake oaks. may be something to check out.

Mike O
05-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Mount a 12X12 flag in safety orange on one of those fiberglass bike poles and put it on your tube or toon up about 6 feet...

Darian
05-17-2012, 01:38 PM
I've rowed a boat over to Rattlesnake Island and back, in the wind, to fish for bass/sunnies. Not too far from the Keys. There's always a lee side to fish from. If the winds right, you could drift back to the keys for taking out.

The only objection I have to clear Lake is the smell of dead/dying Carp and the algae blooms at certain times of the year.... YUK!!!!

jersey
05-17-2012, 09:04 PM
When I head up there this is the SOP

Kelseyville boat launch and stay within 20 feet of tules around that area. The big motor boys get outta there quick, so its usually quiet.

Be overly friendly, congratulate everybody on their Malt liquor selection, twisted mono weed guards really help, get used to saying, "yes, this is a fly rod", wear waders (duck mites suck), be overly friendly, don't admit catching fish, and get the jalapeno corn dogs across from the gas station in kelseyville.

Mike B, sorry I didn't reach out to you sunday. Family matters took precedence.

Its different up there, but worth it...

Dan LeCount
05-23-2012, 12:59 PM
My brother moved to Kelseyville last fall and I still havent fished from his new base camp yet, I feel ashamed.

Dabalone
05-23-2012, 01:27 PM
By the way, did you know that anthropologists discovered that the toothbrush was invented in Clearlake? They reasoned that if it had been invented anywhere else it would have been called the teethbrush. Mike Borba

All this time I thought it was invented in Oroville.