PDA

View Full Version : North Delta Report 5-14

JAWallace
05-14-2012, 09:14 PM
The caveat here is that this is from two guys who have never fished for Stripers without a guide, and neither probably left an indelible mark on either guide's list of pros either. I've been lucky to have been friends with KD for a long time and have learned a lot, but when you're on your own it's tougher. Plus, first time in Bill's old boat on the D so I didn't know what to expect. Turns out it was great.

I was concerned about wind so we opted to fish the incoming in the AM. We put in about 4 hours and it was slow. We saw only two other boats and they were fishless. Around when you'd expect, near the end of the tide, we got a half decent Smallie and a pretty nice Stripe--6.5# per the Boga which may have been generous. WT was 71 deg and the Stripe was hooked at about 15 feet.

As an aside, the marina owner kept talking about this guide who gets there at O'Dark thirty and is often off the water well before noon. Spoke very highly of him. Some guy named Maury;-)

Biggest problem we had was two guys casting heavy flies with shooting lines in a 12' boat. Not the poster situation for safety and some close calls. Other than de-barbing and maybe the bow caster using a backhand cast, I'm not sure how what to do. Any ideas?

Spectacular day, no wind, and at least we weren't fishless.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y273/LocalCenters/Misc%20Fishing%20Pictures/CharlieCrop.jpg