PDA

View Full Version : First Baja Report from La Ventana

Jay Murakoshi
05-14-2012, 08:52 PM
I wish I had longer report to post but we're only into our second day of fishing
What a difference a week makes. Last week my report was lot's of decent size sardine's, big roosters at the light house and very few people taking advantage of the opportunity
Sunday, our first day out with the group was a pretty tough day of fishing. First, it was a long run for bait - to Punta Pila. Many of you know that run. And the bait was scarce. Nobody can figure out where the bait went to or what's cause the sardine's not to show up
the size of the bait has gone from 3"/5" down to two inches with some larger ones still in the bunch. Now for the fishing, Sunday was a real slow day for all, I'm talking my group and Gary Bulla's group. We only had one rooster and I think Gary's group only had a few roosters. I think what put them down yesterday was the boat traffic. Only two conventional guys trolling and there were 10 fly fishing pangs. I mean that's it, not many people fishing yet. Rough day on the ranch.

Today was a different story, still the long run for very little bait. But while waiting for the bait, we saw a few decent size jacks chasing bait, then a few small roosters showed up and stayed for a while. After getting bait, we fished along the island until mid morning then get a little more bait and headed to the light house We made a couple stops a long the way to check for dorado, not one was seen but we did follow a small school of jacks for a little bit
We finally made our way to the light house and right at the point, Efren threw a couple baits and the water came alive. About 10 medium size roosters were in the school, thrashing the sardine's and creating commotion in the boat. I think Mike Schoder (from Alaska) hooked up the first rooster and broke it off. Then another big school of roosters came in thrashing the water and Phil Brna (also from Alaska) got hooked up and landed a 18lb rooster. Now at this time, we've seen more roosters in those two schools than we did the day before. A little lull in the action then it happened again. Mike hooked up on Rooster #2 and it took off and exposed some of his backing that has never seen day light.

This is Mikes first rooster of the day around 25lbs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/IMG_0044.jpg

He caught two more after that

One of my other boats got into there first rooster. Jerome Brotherton from WA. fought a rooster - no photo's.
Then Rick Tolley from WA hooked his first rooster and fought it for a while. I weighed around 13lbs.

Ricks fish
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/IMG_0045.jpg

Here's Phil Brna's rooster
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/IMG_0029.jpg

I'm hoping that the dorado will start showing up so we can have some fresh fish taco's.mmmm. I'm taking the next couple days off for some acupuncture work and to
tie up some wig hair bait fish patterns

Let's hope for best results tomorrow and more photo's

jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-14-2012, 09:17 PM
May/June is supposed to be Roosterfish time out of La Paz so I went a few years ago with Jay.

I was hoping to get one Rooster to the boat and I got about 15.

They were 5 to 15 pounds which made me very happy.

All on Airheads.....Thanks Jay.

That is a beautiul area with lots of different kind of fish.

jbird
05-15-2012, 03:23 AM
all i can say is, with fish like that, why isnt anyone smiling??

Jay Murakoshi
05-15-2012, 06:12 AM
Jbird, one word "tired". Even these small roosters kicked their butts. I can't wait to see what today brings. I'm sitting here working on some video's

jay