PDA

View Full Version : Gold Lake - Kid trip

Slice
05-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Hi fellas,

I was thinking of taking my 6yr old girl camping at Gold Lake in the next few weeks and have a few questions as I've never been there before.

- Can I get there right now? And if so will she freeze her butt off?

- I have heard there is a boat ramp and ive also heard you need 4wd to get up there. I have a 4runner i'm confident with but have never trailered a boat off road and its a fairly heavy wood double ender. any concern?

- lastly, my daughter is pretty good with discomfort however these are the impressionable years and I would hate to introduce her (we have camped a half dozen times pretty succesfully) to a 'bad trip' this early on. is there a better place to go right now?

ok, lastly lastly, how the heck do you search on this thing because i couldnt find a thing for gold lake. if i type in gold lake all it shows is every result with the word lake OR gold, and it seems if i type in "gold lake" every result shows up. I kinda suck at the internet, sorry.

Thanks, im long winded. I diddnt even get to the 'how to fish it part'.

Jim

beachjumper1
05-12-2012, 09:00 AM
go to recreation.gov for campground info, some of the campgrounds up there wont open till late may, next go to sierracity.com check msg board for real current info. there is still some snow. my experence is this time of year is that its COLD at night and in the shade. my choices are salmon lake, sardine, and packer lake. a stop at Bassets for ice cream is manditory have fun George

Mike O
05-12-2012, 12:53 PM
If you have a 4runner, pop the seats down and sleep inside in comfort...no matter how cold outside.

As Far as searching goes, try gold lake basin.

Personally, I like Snag Lake. No water, vault toilets, but it's free, fewer people, smaller, more intimate lake with fish in it. Oh yeah, it has a "boat launch" too.

Don't know if you can get in up there yet. Check with these guys
http://www.bassetts-station.com/

Mike

PS if you go, post a report for me so I know? :-)

Ned Morris
05-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Good for you taking your daughter camping and showing her the beauty of the mountains. Also chances showing her what fish inhabit their waters and teaching her the natural history too. Great for kids. Next year for me too as my daughter just turned 5 and doing only local overnight camp trips 1 hour from home. It's about all she can handle but loves going every time. Even the boy not even 2 loves it.

You are a good Father doing such a cool thing as this. Rare thing such as this in this day and age.

Nice work Daddy!

Slice
05-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Awesome, thanks guys.

Beach jumper, im in the process of going through those sites, thank you.

Mike, I called that place and now im thinking booking a motel room and bringing my wife and 2yr old boy and doing an introductory "day camping" trip and hitting one the numerous lakes around there.

Being a bay area kid, when the weather gets hot I tend to think it hot everywhere.

Ned, I do! actually everywhere we walk I teach her my (somewhat limited) knowledge of the local flora, fauna and geology. Sure makes me feel smart. Shes my steward of the land.

Layla is about to turn 6 and Levon just turned 2, were in the same boat. Sometimes I get frustrated and wish they could fish rivers and wade with me but I try to remind myself slow and steady wins the race.

I tend to think once you get the campfire going everyones a camper.

Thanks fellas, Jim

Slice
05-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Oh yea, the kid who answered my call at bassets said it was about 75 today with still some snow on the ground. George, sounds right on with the cold at night and in the shade.